SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Visual solar observing eyepieces

Moon-Monkey

Ok so have been white light observing now for a little while and I’ve noticed something that perhaps is my imagination or perhaps not … 

when using simple eyepiece designs .. kellners / plossls etc I find I get a much clearer view when compared to more complex and corrected eyeoieces such as my TMB II’s is there a reason for this and would it be as useable to observe with a zoom eyepiece ?? Looking for are to hearing other peoples opinions and real world reasons for this 

clear skies Phill 

Scatter is a big issue for solar and eyepieces that are low scatter by nature therefore do well. Less surfaces and less thickness of glass medium to pass through means less scatter. Smaller apparent field of view eyepieces are cheaper as they need less surfaces and less glass and for the same reason therefore are good for solar. Its a rare example of where cheaper kit can also be better.

• Thanks 1

I use entry level 40mm plossl's and a SW 2x Barlow lens fitted to the nosepiece of a binoviewer, this arrangement gives me around 150x so obviously no full disc.  My interest is high res closeups of details.  GONG gives me a full disc if I need one.      😎

Edited by Peter Drew
  • Like 1

I've tried and used many eyepieces with my Daystar solarscout. The Baader 32mm classic plossl is by far my favourite, although the Vixen 30mm plossl is good too. Regarding zooms, a good one may be of some use, I have a Hyperflex zoom which I use for planetary all the time but unless the seeing is really, really good, I'll stick to the Baader plossl.

I should add that this is for HA mainly, but I still use the same combos for white light.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

Like the other responses, I have found simple eyepiece designs best for solar eg plossls and orthos. I use either Celestron Omni plossls or Televue Plossls for Ha observing, and a pair of Zeiss orthos in binoviewers.

The exception to this rule is my Leica Zoom which rivalled and often beat a Baader Genuine Ortho or TV Plossl for sharpness.

• Like 1

In my experience I’m finding the Pentax XWs really excel for white light solar. I find being able to fit the whole solar disc in view really helps to frame the features and makes them “pop”. 

Don’t have a Ha scope but seems lots of observers use the Vixen NPLs and BCOs for this.

• Like 1

For ha, the best in my opinion that I have is my WO 9mm swan. All mine are plossls and I've had budget and slowly upgraded them over time and have tried BST, ES, TV, Meade UWA, Vixen NPL, Celestron XCEL LX and non LX, and the WO is by far the best, I also have the 15mm. The Vixen, Meade, TV have internal reflections softening the perceived view. The ES (6.7mm) performs well. The Xcel LX (12mm) would be second best, nice and clearly defined.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2022 at 18:19, Paz said:

Scatter is a big issue for solar and eyepieces that are low scatter by nature therefore do well. Less surfaces and less thickness of glass medium to pass through means less scatter. Smaller apparent field of view eyepieces are cheaper as they need less surfaces and less glass and for the same reason therefore are good for solar. Its a rare example of where cheaper kit can also be better.

Ahh that would make sense so less is effectively more 🙂🙂

• Like 1

On 22/10/2022 at 14:29, Stu said:

Like the other responses, I have found simple eyepiece designs best for solar eg plossls and orthos. I use either Celestron Omni plossls or Televue Plossls for Ha observing, and a pair of Zeiss orthos in binoviewers.

The exception to this rule is my Leica Zoom which rivalled and often beat a Baader Genuine Ortho or TV Plossl for sharpness.

Interesting about the zoom I don’t have a zoom am thinking about getting one though 🤔🤔

On 28/10/2022 at 21:26, Carl Au said:

Interesting. I haven’t used a plossl for a while now. What fl do we think would be most useful in a fl7 4 inch frac. 

What’s just as interesting is if there is a formula for the ultimate experience ??

On 31/10/2022 at 05:20, Philip R said:

I like others tend to keep it simple, ie Plossl or Ortho.
IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

Also, I can put a Plossl or Ortho in my EPU, (shown in centre of image), too…
post-4682-0-68543300-1394159105_cropped.jpg.df346f2e694d80a8f95318583cbdef1a.jpg
if I use a DSLR or digital compact camera.

Great setup bud I like that a lot !!

• Thanks 1