SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New camera flats help…pretty please?

assouptro

1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

i use a sheet of white grease proof baking paper in front of panel use two if required ,works a treat .

I use a T-shirt doubled or sometimes tripled if needed, but I haven’t tried grease proof paper 

Thanks for the tip! 😊

Bryan

32 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Re: Flats

They did seem to have little vignette and no obvious dust, so any smart background removal tool (even the one in Siril) will fix that quite easily. If calibration wont work with this dataset it will still produce a pretty image in the end so definitely not lost this dataset yet.

It’s an incredibly short dataset due to clouds on first light, but thanks and yes I think I’ll be able to squeeze a respectable image from it without flats 😊

Thanks 

Bryan 

• 10 months later...

I was just doing some research when I stumbled across this old post  of mine!

I then thought, ,someone else may be having a similar issue so I thought I'd bring the discussion to some conclusion as it may help someone at some point

The problem turned out to be a fault with the camera!

I was unlucky to buy a second hand QHY268M with a fault!

My inexperience with cmos sensors and the assumption that the camera was ok made me question my methods of acquisition but all along the sensor was at fault

I was only able to prove this by learning about sharpacap sensor analysis and being fortunate to have a neighbour who owned a QHY268C that I could borrow to test my methods 

The camera appeared to have little to no well depth! 

I was also fortunate that Rupert from Astrograph.net was kind enough to take the camera back as it was under warranty event though I wasn't the original purchaser!

It took 6 Months!! but, I finally got my camera back! and I am very happy to report, all is well! ( apart from the uk weather!)

Anyway, I just thought I'd close this case and hope it might be of use to anyone unfortunate to be in a similar position 😊

All the best 

Bryan