Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart and Soul

Phillyo

Looking great! What are the capture/equipment details?

Just a suggestion: you've used noise reduction quite heavily, which is fine, however you've lost a lot of detail in the signal-rich parts of the image - it would be better to apply it much more selectively only to the dark/noisy areas.

• Like 2

Thank you,

Capture equipment is in my signature :) details are around 8 hours or so in 3 min subs I think? I can never remember lol. I'll take another look at the noise reduction, to be fair I did it quite quickly as I was just happy to be editing some data so probably overdid it slightly. I didn't think the noise reduction was that heavy, I think the detail is possibly lost because I'm imaging at a scale of around 6"/pixel with my IMX571 and Samyang combo? But I could be wrong. I'm very heavily under sampled.

Phil

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Lovely image, but I agree with @Shibby overdone with the noise reduction, has left the focus a bit too soft, and also made the image look a tad plasticky for my taste….

Thank you both for the feedback. Always looking to improve with processing. I'll take another look this weekend and see if I can bring back some detail and tone down the noise reduction a bit. I might drizzle the data too, see if I can get some more detail from the image.

• Like 1

I have reprocessed this image again from the original stacked XSIF file, hence the slight colour difference to the one I posted above. This time I haven't used any noise reduction at all, and I don't think it needs it really. It's a very clean image. Does that look a little less plasticky @Stuart1971 Still learning!

Phil

Noise_Noise_reduction.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Phillyo said:

I have reprocessed this image again from the original stacked XSIF file, hence the slight colour difference to the one I posted above. This time I haven't used any noise reduction at all, and I don't think it needs it really. It's a very clean image. Does that look a little less plasticky @Stuart1971 Still learning!

Phil

Noise_Noise_reduction.jpg

That looks much better to my eyes, also when zoomed, the stars look much better too….

like I said before it’s a superb wide field image…👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1

Thank you :) I do like this set up lol, very easy to get good results. Though I am considering getting an actual telescope soon, not too sure what yet though. That'll probably make things more interesting!!

• Like 1