Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bst starguider or baader zoom

My 8mm BST Starguider was my first 'non-stock' eyepiece and is definitely my favourite so far.

That said, I'm seriously contemplating a Baader zoom now I have a solid tube dob with a Crayford focuser as well as the Heritage 150p. The point someone made above about not having to mess about changing filters is a very good one.

I got the BST Starguider 2x short barlow to go with the 8mm eyepiece but I'm wondering if I would be best off getting the Baader zoom and barlow combo if I'm getting the zoom?

MiladyB x

39 minutes ago, MiladyB said:

My 8mm BST Starguider was my first 'non-stock' eyepiece and is definitely my favourite so far.

That said, I'm seriously contemplating a Baader zoom now I have a solid tube dob with a Crayford focuser as well as the Heritage 150p. The point someone made above about not having to mess about changing filters is a very good one.

I got the BST Starguider 2x short barlow to go with the 8mm eyepiece but I'm wondering if I would be best off getting the Baader zoom and barlow combo if I'm getting the zoom?

MiladyB x

The only problem with both the BSTs (wonderful VFM) and the Baader zoom (good images) is the field of view. Both of them need a lot of nudging to keep a target in view. I read the APM Superzoom has a rather larger FOV, but I've never looked through one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

The only problem with both the BSTs (wonderful VFM) and the Baader zoom (good images) is the field of view. Both of them need a lot of nudging to keep a target in view. I read the APM Superzoom has a rather larger FOV, but I've never looked through one.

The APM Super Zoom sounds amazing, but the price difference is possibly just enough for me to overlook the smaller FOV on the Baader. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

@bosun21 is correct.  I measured the BSTs from 5mm to 25mm, and they are all very close to 60 degrees as noted below:

Meade HD-60 vs AstroTech Paradigm Data.JPG

In the years since I created this table, I've added photographically measured AFOV, and most of the BSTs/Paradigms turned out to be 1 degree wider AFOV via that method.

Going up to 66 to 67 degrees AFOV with the APM SZ isn't going to make a huge difference in dwell time for Dob nudging.  It's one of the reasons I'm holding off on getting one.

If you can find a Meade HD-60 6.5mm, you'll get a 65 degree AFOV with a 64 degree eAFOV due to low edge distortion.  It's actually a 6.2mm eyepiece by my measurements, so I'd consider it a 6mm eyepiece for comparison purposes.  It's very sharp across the field with no SAEP issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

@bosun21 is correct.  I measured the BSTs from 5mm to 25mm, and they are all very close to 60 degrees as noted below:

Meade HD-60 vs AstroTech Paradigm Data.JPG

In the years since I created this table, I've added photographically measured AFOV, and most of the BSTs/Paradigms turned out to be 1 degree wider AFOV via that method.

Going up to 66 to 67 degrees AFOV with the APM SZ isn't going to make a huge difference in dwell time for Dob nudging.  It's one of the reasons I'm holding off on getting one.

If you can find a Meade HD-60 6.5mm, you'll get a 65 degree AFOV with a 64 degree eAFOV due to low edge distortion.  It's actually a 6.2mm eyepiece by my measurements, so I'd consider it a 6mm eyepiece for comparison purposes.  It's very sharp across the field with no SAEP issues.

What I meant was that both the BSTs and the Baader give a relatively small FOV and the Superzoom improves on it slightly. As a dob owner, I don't use anything with under 70°.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cajen2 said:

That is not something I notice even swapping from a 65degree EP. Nudging is something I do automatically and if I want low power then I just use the 2”.

2 hours ago, Spile said:

That is not something I notice even swapping from a 65degree EP. Nudging is something I do automatically and if I want low power then I just use the 2”.

But I don't want low power. I want high power with a good FOV. It's very difficult to focus on a target and absorb all the details if you're continually having to shift the scope. My smallest FOV EPs are my two Pentax XWs (70°) and I much prefer my three Morpheus 76-8°..ish).

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cajen2 said:

But I don't want low power. I want high power with a good FOV. It's very difficult to focus on a target and absorb all the details if you're continually having to shift the scope. My smallest FOV EPs are my two Pentax XWs (70°) and I much prefer my three Morpheus 76-8°..ish).

Clearly your experience is different to mine. I tend to to max out when observing planets aka zoom+Barlow and nudging isn’t really an issue for me.

19 hours ago, bemak187 said:

Baader plus the matching barlow is probably my most used setup.  Field of view a little tight on the lower power but very convenient and quality very good.

I took advantage of the FLO 20% off and treated myself to the zoom and barlow - can't wait to try it out 😊

MiladyB x