Narrowband

Andromeda galaxy, wide and natural.

ollypenrice

With Paul Kummer.  Paul pointed at M31 with the RASA 8/ASI2600MC to see what it might give. We both liked the test shots very much and decided to give the galaxy some breathing space in a 4 panel mosaic. The idea was for a change of style to give a simple, natural rendition which would still go deep. After Paul's capture and construction of the linear mosaic, which I gather was difficult, I did the post processing and that was difficult as well! It's ironic that going for a soft look should prove so difficult and complex right through the pre- and post-processing.

The faint extension on the right hand end of the galaxy looks slightly detatched, but that was how it was in the data (on a single panel so not a jointing artifact.

1005581736_MOSAIC4FINWEBsmaller.thumb.jpg.8fb87c2def36dda2ef1556cfdeca77d5.jpg

Olly

Edit: only when I'd finished the image did I realize that it has had no noise reduction at all - other than being downsampled at an early stage to 50%.

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 14

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The idea was for a change of style to give a simple, natural rendition which would still go deep.

Hope you don't mind me giving a critique - I think that outer reaches of galaxy are still somewhat "flat" / "cartoon" like.

Natural look (at least in my view) - would have much more gradual transition and almost ghost like appearance of outer reaches of the galaxy.

4 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Hope you don't mind me giving a critique - I think that outer reaches of galaxy are still somewhat "flat" / "cartoon" like.

Natural look (at least in my view) - would have much more gradual transition and almost ghost like appearance of outer reaches of the galaxy.

Fair point but the data gave little gradient. I'll look at that again though.

Olly