SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking for help identifying this telescope

Hi. 

New here. Is this the right place to get some help identifying & pricing a telecope? 

I THINK it's a David Hinds ??  Looks similar to a quick Google search .

But also- is it worth selling?- i recall the original owner telling me something was missing. Buy I've no idea what 😄 

Any info would be appreciated!

20221017_112449.jpg

• Like 4

Looking a little closer, it has a 90mm reflecting guidescope/finder so by scale it might be the 10" F4.3 version..  Certainly worth buying.  Disclaimer.  I was a director of the company that made them.    Welcome to SGL.     🙂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

The mirrors are high quality BUT are probably around 35 years old, so check both of them very carefully.

Here is mine……

96D6C3D8-8CFB-4BC1-A268-B8F5C62D0DD5.jpeg.e0ef3c582a702da42916579757c3449b.jpeg

Do you have the Newtonian finder for yours too? What was the idea there? Use the smaller regular finder to get close then use the newt finder for precise alignment at extreme power ep views?

It looks a decent size - someone above mentioned 10".  If the mirrors are OK I would think it's very saleable, esp. as it seems to have a solid mount with it.  Looks like its missing the focussing unit that the EP fits into and drives it up and down to reach focus, but I imagine that is easily sourced.

Edited by JOC
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, markse68 said:

Do you have the Newtonian finder for yours too? What was the idea there? Use the smaller regular finder to get close then use the newt finder for precise alignment at extreme power ep views?

The 3.5” Newtonian was intended to be a guide scope, I only did visual so used the standard 6x30 finder.

1 hour ago, JOC said:

It looks a decent size - someone above mentioned 10".  If the mirrors are OK I would think it's very saleable, esp. as it seems to have a solid mount with it.  Looks like its missing the focussing unit that the EP fits into and drives it up and down to reach focus, but I imagine that is easily sourced.

I think the OP’s photo shows a helical focuser rather than the standard rack and pinion.

3 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

I think the OP’s photo shows a helical focuser rather than the standard rack and pinion.

I don't think I'm even aware that something called a helical focusser exists, but if it does and the photo shows it then the OP obviously doesn't have to worry about that side of things.  Thanks for that pick-up 🙂

I made a small range of table top Newtonians to provide beginners with a quality entry level telescope.  They were based on the 3.5" F5 guidescope in the OP's photo.  They were advertised as "Nova" 3.5" F5, "SuperNova" 4.5" F4.5 and "NovaMax" 6.25" F3.8.      🙂

• Like 1

Back to the price and completeness, it looks complete bar the small finder, please turn the tube the right way up {mirror at the bottom}. 

I would estimate the mount and tripod at 250 or so and the telescope tube around 300.. mostly for the mirror but also as a functioning ota.

Caveats to that are lack of goto and whether it's an SP or a GP mount and condition cause the mounts to range from 150 up. 

Of course, this is only my opinion...🤔

There are people who'd really like this both as a functioning setup  and a bit of vintage. I would myself but I have more than enough.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all so much for your replies. A great help!

I do have a box of bits and bobs for it , eyepieces etc.  I need to reach these. (Currently having housework done)

I have also turned it over, sorry if the way I stored it triggered anyone haha

It's 10"

I believe everything inside is in good tact. I'm yet to open it and photograph the mirrors. 

Will update adap

Again. Thanks all!

On 17/10/2022 at 13:44, JeremyS said:

If the mirrors are still in those tubes, I hope the retaining clips are solid….I wouldn’t store like that….

The mirrors are. I believe.  I will open it next week  or at the weekend.  

It stands very well. Nice and solid when put together.  

I have turned it the other way🤦🏻‍♀️😬

Thanks for the info