Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Couldn't Resist!

cloudsweeper

6.45am Monday - lovely 3rd quarter Moon sat high near south.  10 minutes later, the 10" Dob (cooled in the shed) had it in its sights.  Mars was a little further south, and a faint Orion could just me made out.

Crater Albategnius lay on the terminator, with the fine trio Arzachel, Alphonsus, and Ptolemaeus a little across.  

I decided to concentrate on Arzachel.  At x212 the general surface detail was very good, and Arzachel revealed some of its features.  (Only a little was in shadow from the rim.)  The terraced walls and central peak were sharp, and a craterlet plus two small pits stood out well.  I also made out a N-S rille, the Rima Arzachel.  This is a fine target for prolonged study.

Finally, Rupes Recta, the Straight Wall (a steep cliff) in Mare Nubium was clear a little to the west, showing as a fairly bright line.  (Near first quarter, with the sunlight from the opposite direction, it appears dark.)

A most enjoyable hour - a fine start to the day!

Doug.

• Like 5