Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30 hrs on The Cave Nebula in SHO

cfinn

This was a slog. The Cave Nebula is a surprisingly faint target and I acquired the OIII data under particularly unfavourable conditions, with a nearly full moon and passing high cloud. Nevertheless, I was able to make the 30 hours worth of data I acquired work hard in processing and am really quite satisfied with the result. I would like to get some RGB data next time I get a clear moonless night or two to make a natural colour equivalent.

Full capture details can be found on Astrobin. Enjoy!

CS

Charles

Sh2-155-SHO-Hlum-SHOstars-SC-NR-St-HDR-SR-APFR-Final-crop.jpg

• Like 25

Many thanks! @ollypenrice I personally think it looks better in RGB, with all the dust and reflection nebulosity close by. The plan was to combine the Ha data with R and L in an HaLRGB composite. Alas, clear moonless nights can be a rarity, so narrowband it was, but I still may get to it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cfinn said:

Many thanks! @ollypenrice I personally think it looks better in RGB, with all the dust and reflection nebulosity close by. The plan was to combine the Ha data with R and L in an HaLRGB composite. Alas, clear moonless nights can be a rarity, so narrowband it was, but I still may get to it.

I wouldn't put too much Ha in the L but the project is sound.

Olly

• Like 1