Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Baader wedge in development

Highburymark

There’s a new Baader solar wedge on the way, according to the company’s website. As with current model, a continuum filter will be incorporated - but this time with a narrower 7.5nm bandwidth. The filter’s also available separately. Have to say, I’m unconvinced this will offer any benefits over the current filter, despite claims it will ‘suppress the effects of atmospheric turbulence’! But would be delighted to be proved wrong. I also wonder how they’re going to improve on the current Coolwedge itself? Maybe reduce the weight a bit? Hopefully keep the price down too - the Lunt 2” is now an expensive item at £565.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steve Ward said:

It won't be any cheaper that's for sure .... the 7.5nm Continuum itself is £170.00 ... 😯

I was looking at them at the IAS on Friday  , but couldn't bring myself to squeeze the trigger so's to speak ... 🙃

Ouch. Would need some evidence of improved views/images for that.  

I used to think of white light wedges as one of the bargains of astronomy, but the 2” wedges are fast approaching the cost of a secondhand PST.

7 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Ouch. Would need some evidence of improved views/images for that.  

Bear in mind the 'standard' 10nm was £150.00 ... 😉

I felt the description was a bit more hyperbole as with the 'double-stack' continuum they brought out a while back which proved to be little more than waffle.

I'll stick with my Oiii for the time being ... 🙂