SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Rail Kit for NEQ6 Pro

Peter-uk

I decided I needed one of these illusive items.  So decided to make my own.  Unfortunately, my bar stock was to small for this so I had to start the furnace

and mould my own billet to start with.  So below are some photos from the last couple of days in the garage

The first one is my lack of patience breaking out the cover plates, we did have some new ones ready. 

The second and third are the 3d printed templates along with the poured aluminium mould.  A couple of the end product. 

One with the rail kit in place.  And as with all diy projects I did have to shave a few millimetres off the round bar to get the clearance when I refitted it, forgot to get a picture of that.

1231.jpg

1232.jpg

1233.jpg

1234.jpg

1235.jpg

1236.jpg

• Like 6

I didn't realise they aren't available.  I wonder if I could fabricate one using off the shelf materials?

I have an EQ5 that I modified as per the image below so I could do that instead but this is a nicer engineering solution.

@Peter-uk do you have any dimensions or drawings for these that you could share?

Michael

Yes Len  
Theres a small flat cut on the bottom of the round bar then a 2mm slot cut in the ends

rossco72
The furnace is not really necessary but the small milling machine or lathe with milling attachment is very usefull

synchronicity
Yes without the machines/tools this could be done by hand
but it would take a lot of effort, would the end result be up to what you need
I don't know if the NEQ6 casting is identical to your EQ5,
But its very easy to workout the dimensions when you have the mount apart

Pete

Thanks Pete.  I have a NEQ6 as well which is outside on a pier and running well except for the latitude adjustment which shifts slightly due to taking the scope etc on and off.  Definitely a project for the summer because I don't want it in bits when I could be imaging!

Michael

• 1 year later...