SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello!

bruxinho

Hi, all! Thought I'd drop a 'hello' post in here as that seems to be the done thing.

Long time fan of the night sky - so much so that I ended up doing a physics degree which sadly had [removed word]-all to do with the starts, and I ended up in the IT world instead. However, my eldest daughter's now doing an astronomy GCSE (the lucky thing - I would have killed to do that when I was her age!) and between the two of us we're sort of getting ourselves into the hobby side of things together. So that's nice.

Still to pick up my first 'proper' scope (although I've got my eye on a couple of options already) but I do have an old, knackered refracting 60/700 that's at least let us see a couple of things despite being more knackered than I am, poor thing. 

See you all around in here, no doubt :)

Allan

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bruxinho said:

Hi, all! Thought I'd drop a 'hello' post in here as that seems to be the done thing.

Long time fan of the night sky - so much so that I ended up doing a physics degree which sadly had [removed word]-all to do with the starts, and I ended up in the IT world instead. However, my eldest daughter's now doing an astronomy GCSE (the lucky thing - I would have killed to do that when I was her age!) and between the two of us we're sort of getting ourselves into the hobby side of things together. So that's nice.

Still to pick up my first 'proper' scope (although I've got my eye on a couple of options already) but I do have an old, knackered refracting 60/700 that's at least let us see a couple of things despite being more knackered than I am, poor thing. 

See you all around in here, no doubt :)

Allan

Welcome to SGL! I’m jealous too - I saw astronomy on the exam timetable when I was doing mine, and wanted to do that one!

Ine thing it won’t teach us that the best telescope is the one you’ll use most

Thanks, all! Looking forward to picking up a 'scope in the near future, but for now the old refractor at least allowed us to take advantage of Jupiter's current alignment. We managed to pick out 3 moons easily enough, although the 2x Barlow seems to be completely knackered. Oh, well. Will likely start with the cheap and cheerful starquest 130p for now until we figure out what we want to actually look at!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Have now picked up the starquest and seems like a big upgrade on our previous 'scope. Only really had a chance to get outside once briefly thanks to the free clouds that came with the scope, but we were able to see Jupiter and Saturn very easily so that was awesome for a first go. Huge thanks to all at FLO who have helped so far. Already looking into suitable eyepiece upgrades. Currently looking at a skywatcher UWA 4mm planetary as recommended by Chris at FLO, but also tempted to try a zoom to get a flavour of what would be useful.

• 6 months later...