Narrowband

PHD2 dithering stops after lost star

Stefan73

I've got PHD2 and dithering working quite happily now but the dithering seems to stop for the imaging run if there's a lost star about the time it does the dither.  The guiding and imaging run carried on but it just didn't dither any more.   Obviously I get why that dither wouldn't work when the star is lost but subsequent ones might if the guiding is still going.  This is using EKOS/INDI on an Astroberry.

Am I missing an option or something to tell it to have another go after the next sub is taken?  Guide logs attached...

PHD2_GuideLog_2022-10-07_200832.txt PHD2_DebugLog_2022-10-07_200832.txt

PHD2 does not initiate dithering, the imaging program generates a request to which PHD2 then responds.

According to your logs the last time your imaging ap requested a dither  was  21:51:21,  after that time no further requests were received. 

You need to look at the imaging software to find out why it stopped issuing dither requests.

11 hours ago, almcl said:

PHD2 does not initiate dithering, the imaging program generates a request to which PHD2 then responds.

You're right of course... the kstars log would have been more helpful!  Although it doesn't look massively useful; it logs the last dither as successful at 21:22:29 which PHD2 sees requested at 21:21:51 and then it's never mentioned again although it looks like the star was lost just as it was downloading the next image and presumably about to do the next dither.

Anyway if no-one else has seen this then I guess I'm just tickling a new bug in kstars and it should resume dithering or it's a pretty unusual circumstance.  I vaguely recall some option somewhere in kstars or ekos about allowing a certain number of dither failures but I can't find it now.

log_20-29-20.txt