SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mare Crisium

IB20

I’m absolutely stunned after after observing the moon with the TOE 2.5mm in the Tak 76DC. Genuinely breathtaking viewing, the depth and darkness created by the terminator is actually quite overwhelming. I don’t quite know what to take in, seeing the scale and imagining the height of these structures on view, our celestial neighbour is so grand yet so cold, empty and alone.
Mare Crisium is the region that draws my attention the most, its imperfections, rilles and domes leaping out down the eyepiece. So many surrounding craters I want to attach their names too, but there is just too much going on. Had to take a step back and try to capture what I was seeing on my phone. I really must spend more time on lunar observing, I enjoy it so much.

Having checked a few moon maps, there are three little dome like structures in the top right of Mare Crisium that appear nameless and I’m struggling to identify the deep crater to the sea’s southwest, possibly Auzout? 
Cleomides, Burkhardt, Geminus and Bernouli showing nicely, I could go on and on too, a staggering number of craters.

CA9A2602-6A46-4164-822A-977B32D46299.jpeg

73724DEC-0784-497D-B127-C271252C989C.jpeg

Edited by IB20
  • Like 9

Correct @Stu, those are the features that really caught my eye last night. I looked at SkySafari but it has an overwhelming amount of information on the moon, it doesn’t tend to represent the terminator in real time quite as accurately either. Can’t find anything on the three little domes.

Edited by IB20

9 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Correct @Stu, those are the features that really caught my eye last night. I looked at SkySafari but it has an overwhelming amount of information on the moon, it doesn’t tend to represent the terminator in real time quite as accurately either. Can’t find anything on the three little domes.

The NASA terminator simulator I linked to earlier is excellent for visualising the exact phase. Lunar Quickmaps is also excellent as a detailed reference. No labelling on those domes though.

0CB9A2E5-20E2-44F7-B885-EB741BA782D7.png

BD320BA4-E224-42A1-8E2D-B88B21978768.png

• Thanks 1