SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cracked c9.25 corrector plate.

23 hours ago, allworlds said:

Louis D, you say that, but ENS Optical is selling a 6 inch Mak with a whacking great chip in its corrector. (Selling it very cheap, of course.)

Yes, but notice the damage hasn't spread.  That corrector looks to be in no danger of shattering.  If shipping wasn't so high to the US (and ENS not removing VAT for US customers in their cart), I'd have a go with it.  They're $900 new over here.  I seriously doubt it has much if any effect on the image if completely masked off.  I don't see any evidence of spalled glass on the primary, either.

spacer.png

Compare that to these shattered SCT correctors.  What's going to hold the secondary in position in some of these cases?

17 hours ago, VNA said:

Hello, so sorry, to my understanding those corrector plates are unique to your scope?
It cracked possibly because it was repositioned incorrectly, there are marks on the side to match with the marks on the tube.

Have you looked through it if the image is "livable?" Wishing I had better news. :- (

Orientation of the plate in relation to its housing is one thing I didn't think about. Anyhow, who'd dream something like that could cause a crack?

12 hours ago, Westmoorland said:

Orientation of the plate in relation to its housing is one thing I didn't think about. Anyhow, who'd dream something like that could cause a crack?

I can't see what mechanism could cause the crack in the case of rotating the plate. But the whole thing is hard to understand. These plates aren't that weak and it takes a lot of force.

You didn't mention that you had removed and replaced the secondary housing? If not but that part was already under stress and your operation was enough to push the corrector glass over the edge  could that be it? But it's a long shot. 

David

Edited by davidc135