Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does everyone use Backyard EOS, or are there alternatives that are better?

My trial is about to end and I planned on going ahead and buying the software. However I think there are other programs people use. So before I did that I thought it would be a good idea to find out if people prefer something else over it?

Thanks

If you want basically a glorified intervalometer -- and I'm not dissing that choice -- sure.

If you want to start using a more capable observatory-control suite that you can grow into, seems like everyone loves NINA. I am personally a big fan of KStars/Ekos in the same space, largely because I did not wish to limit my scopeside computer choices to Windows. I have used more and more of its capabilities as time goes on.

If you want to move toward unattended imaging sessions at some point, Ekos or NINA seem to me to be the best choices. The time investment matters much more than the software license (Ekos and NINA are both free).

• Like 1

I've never used BackyardEOS. When I started out imaging I used APT, but after moving from a DSLR to mono CCD I bought AstroArt 5 for my processing and used its camera control for capture. When I bought my first ASA mount I needed Maxim DL but eventually managed to get the ASA Sequence software working at use that.

NINA has a very good reputation but I've not had to use it yet. Maybe if I build a mobile rig with a mount that can be guided in both axes (Currently I use a SA) then I will investigate it further.

As all my remote PCs are Win10 or 11 I have no interest in Kstars EKOS etc.

• Like 1

I have a RA clock drive mount and no automated focuser or anything else computer controlled so I find backyard Eos almost perfect for what I need with my Canon 600D . I only wish it could plate solve my images when I'm framing!

• Like 1

I am using Ekos/Indi/Kstars on my. astroberry (Same thing basically, Kstars is a skymap, indi is driverbase like ascom, ekos is suite for capturing, plate solving and much more, but they are all in one app, you start it all from Kstars) 

I saw NINA and it is beautifull peace of code, but it is currently limited to windows due to. net framework. 

Hopefully it will be transfered to dotnet core and dotnet Maui so it will be usable on Linux as well. 

• Like 1

If your camera is old and uses a serial shutter release cable (Canon D300 / D400 for example) then you will be out of luck if you opt for NINA.  Whilst the GUI seemed to have the provisions to handle this, it was never implemented.  When I discussed this on their discord server with several of the developers who contributed to writing the program I was basically told to get a new camera.  The attitude was somewhat hostile, and left me somewhat underwhelmed about the way things panned out.  I'm quite happy with the equipment I have, and not in a financial to purchase a newer camera just to be able to use an application.  So I continue to use APT which works perfectly well with my old camera  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

If your camera is old and uses a serial shutter release cable (Canon D300 / D400 for example) then you will be out of luck if you opt for NINA.  Whilst the GUI seemed to have the provisions to handle this, it was never implemented.  When I discussed this on their discord server with several of the developers who contributed to writing the program I was basically told to get a new camera.  The attitude was somewhat hostile, and left me somewhat underwhelmed about the way things panned out.  I'm quite happy with the equipment I have, and not in a financial to purchase a newer camera just to be able to use an application.  So I continue to use APT which works perfectly well with my old camera  

I do have a VERY old camera, it's a Canon EOS 500D. I am looking to upgrade soon, or at the very least have it modified. But I am glad you mentioned that. It seems like many love NINA. I will check out APT, what are it's (basic) advantages over backyard? 

1 hour ago, Trippelforge said:

I do have a VERY old camera, it's a Canon EOS 500D. I am looking to upgrade soon, or at the very least have it modified. But I am glad you mentioned that. It seems like many love NINA. I will check out APT, what are it's (basic) advantages over backyard? 

I can't really comment as I've not used BYE or the current version of APT to compare.  My version (3.3) is donkeys years old but as I only use it to control the camera to create an imaging plan to take 20 or 30 exposures, and then do the same for the darks once the observatory is closed, and shutting the PC down after, which it does very well I've not seen any need to upgrade  (if it isn't broke, no need to fix it).   

I think you should be Ok with your camera and NINA as the 500D uses DIGIC 4 processing so I believe control would be via the USB cable.  Its only DIGIC II cameras (350D, 400D - Rebel xTI in the US) that use the serial shutter for exposures over 30 seconds.

I think NINA really comes into its own when true astro cameras are used and you need additional control over filter wheels etc, or you need advance plate solving and tools to aid focusing etc.  My workflow having opened up the observatory and powered up the mount is to open CdC and connect to the mount via EQMOD, select a bright start and once the slew is complete open APT and take a 20s exposure with a Bahtinov mask in place to check and adjust focus, then once focus is set, slew to the target I wish to image.  I then open PHD2 and get the guiding running and then load up a plan (or create a new one) in APT and set it off.   

As my scope is permanently set up, polar alignment hardly needs setting, and when I do check or adjust I use the excellent tool in Sharpcap.

Don't get me wrong, NINA is a very capable application.  Having suggested it to a friend he now won't use anything else and NINA forms the heart of his imaging sessions.  But he has a fully automated set up with a 10" RC scope  on and EQ8, with focusers, filter wheels, and the dome all controlled through the PC, which is where NINA fits in nicely.

Edited by malc-c
  • Like 1

So the short answer is, that it's kind of silly for me to pay for BYEOS when NINA and APT (unlimited demo) are free. My main needs right now are focusing and camera control. Fairly basic stuff as my setup isn't exactly advanced. But it also looks like both have a lot of advanced features I might be able to take advantage of. I am really glad I asked, thank you guys for the help!

3 hours ago, Trippelforge said:

So the short answer is, that it's kind of silly for me to pay for BYEOS when NINA and APT (unlimited demo) are free. My main needs right now are focusing and camera control. Fairly basic stuff as my setup isn't exactly advanced. But it also looks like both have a lot of advanced features I might be able to take advantage of. I am really glad I asked, thank you guys for the help!

The 'problem' is that where BYEOS and APT started out as being apps to manage the control of DSLR cameras so that the gathering of exposures is automated, with BYE focusing on Canon cameras in particular, they have now been developed into a complicated and comprehensive application to handle a multitude of things, such as mount control, filter wheels, etc.  If like me all you want to do is to have something that just takes pictures then really any of those applications will do the job.  Both BYE and APT require a small payment to unlock and be supported, where as NINA is open source.  When we had just the two, there was two camps each saying their favourite, be that BYE or APT was the best.  But at the end of the day they both do the basic thing want, ie automating the taking of images, so the choice is really yours.

25 minutes ago, malc-c said:

The 'problem' is that where BYEOS and APT started out as being apps to manage the control of DSLR cameras so that the gathering of exposures is automated, with BYE focusing on Canon cameras in particular, they have now been developed into a complicated and comprehensive application to handle a multitude of things, such as mount control, filter wheels, etc.  If like me all you want to do is to have something that just takes pictures then really any of those applications will do the job.  Both BYE and APT require a small payment to unlock and be supported, where as NINA is open source.  When we had just the two, there was two camps each saying their favourite, be that BYE or APT was the best.  But at the end of the day they both do the basic thing want, ie automating the taking of images, so the choice is really yours.

Ok so new short answer; it doesn't matter. lol

I am going to try out NINA this weekend and see how well it works for me due to it being free. Like mentioned I really am only needing it to do two simple things as well. And for now I can't afford to go crazy upgrading my setup anyhow. Thanks for the help!

Just another recommendation for NINA. I use it for controlling my camera, but the BEST feature of NINA in my opinion is the plate solving! It makes finding your target and lining up perfectly so much easier. You will need to install ASTAP or similar to use it, but there are loads of tutorials on youtube for how to do that