SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Redcat 51 Autofocusing in Freezing Weather

Andyb90

Hi all,

I'm interested in the Redcat 51 for a portable imaging rig. I'd like to use auto focusing with it and have seen a couple of kits for the scope.

- ProAstroGear Black-CAT Mount - uses an external gear

- Deep Sky Dad EAF Mount - uses an external belt

Does anyone have experience using these kits on the Redcat 51 during freezing conditions? I'm wondering if frost/ice could form on the helical focuser and/or the gear/belt and stop auto focusing from working properly.

I've also looked at the Askar fra300 scope which has a rack and pinion focuser, where I would just remove the focuser knob and attach the motorized unit. So the connection between the motorized unit and telescope focuser would be covered, not on an exposed surface.

Thanks,

Andy

16 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

- Deep Sky Dad EAF Mount - uses an external belt

I've used this and a ZWO EAF with belt and custom system on a camera lens at and below zero.  I think the RedCat has been down to -11 degC (colder than I had the camera cooled!) once.  No issues observed.

I have a dew heater on the RedCat - around the base (ish) of the lens hood.  I guess a very small amount of residual heat will move through the metal frame of the telescope as well?

Edited by geeklee