Narrowband

Starsense trial tonight

12 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Hope it works out Ok. Be interested to see if it works Ok after the transfer. 

I aligned it this afternoon so don't think there will be any problems. Will keep you updated!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There won't be any problems.  The cradle for your phone doesn't know what telescope it's attached to - it makes no difference.    I've used a i0inch scope with a  cradle from the SS Explorer 70 AZ attached and it worked great.  😊

Of course this assumes that you have fixed the cradle firmly in place so that it can't move.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 3

Just ordered the 70az also (cheapest model) to get the bracket off too to fit on my 10 newtonian to use. Much cheaper that buying another goto mount to hold it which with the weight of the scope would cost over £1,000 even if bought second hand, so looking forward to it working on my 10” newt too. Should arrive tomorrow! :) 

• Like 2

I just hope they add realign on current object to refine the pointing in some future software update.  Over and over again I hear about folks not being able to get the initial alignment precise enough to put objects dead center in the eyepiece.  Initial alignment should be just that, an initial starting point to get you started, and from which to refine it during the night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Just ordered the 70az also (cheapest model) to get the bracket off too to fit on my 10 newtonian to use. Much cheaper that buying another goto mount to hold it which with the weight of the scope would cost over £1,000 even if bought second hand, so looking forward to it working on my 10” newt too. Should arrive tomorrow! :) 

I also bought the Celestron 70LT refractor to cannibalize the Starsense unit for my 8” Stella Lyra Dobsonian. I modified the base of the unit so that it would fit on the standard finder bracket. I also bought a multi finder bracket in order to accept the Starsense and my existing RACI. The unit is working well and I will also emphasize the need for accurate initial alignment.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I just hope they add realign on current object to refine the pointing in some future software update.  Over and over again I hear about folks not being able to get the initial alignment precise enough to put objects dead center in the eyepiece.  Initial alignment should be just that, an initial starting point to get you started, and from which to refine it during the night.

I do wonder how much accuracy you can really expect from a phone camera/lens? eg do they apply some lens distortion data? I’m guessing not unless it’s auto applied by the phone. I find with mine that the accuracy varies from target to target and usually better toward zenith but it always gets the target into my raci finder view, usually in the centre 50% view and sometimes almost perfect which I think is pretty good and I find very useful. 

Mark

Sorry for the slow reply! Yep, it worked fine and accurate after setting the alignment up. 

I attached it with bungee so it's not hard fixed as most of the time I don't need it to get onto targets I want. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mart29 said:

Sorry for the slow reply! Yep, it worked fine and accurate after setting the alignment up. 

I attached it with bungee so it's not hard fixed as most of the time I don't need it to get onto targets I want. 

The slightest movement of the Starsense unit will greatly throw the alignment out. I would seriously consider using a more secure method of attachment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

The slightest movement of the Starsense unit will greatly throw the alignment out. I would seriously consider using a more secure method of attachment.

Oh, believe me it doesn't move. 😅

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I have just bought the 10" Starsense picking it up tomorrow so any tips for aligning it much appreciated.

Honestly,  the instructions are good and the app guides you through it. Just stick to that and you will be fine! 

Let me know how the Dob goes   , very interested to see how they perform! 

More from the optics than the starsense.  

Edited by Mart29
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mart29 said:

Honestly,  the instructions are good and the app guides you through it. Just stick to that and you will be fine! 

Let me know how the Dob goes   , very interested to see how they perform! 

More from the optics than the starsense.  

No problem, thanks I am going to see what the tube surface is like if it is like skywatcher`s I will need to flock it.

A friend has one he said they are very good but that was from a dark site.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

No problem, thanks I am going to see what the tube surface is like if it is like skywatcher`s I will need to flock it.

A friend has one he said they are very good but that was from a dark site.

I have an 8” Stella Lyra Dobsonian and they perform great in a suburban sky as well as a dark site. There’s a very good reason why they have a large and loyal following. Looking forward to your first light 🔭

• Like 1

Got the 70AZ ‘frac, and as expected the scope and mount itself is not up to much, however the Starsence worked extremely well. I managed to find all targets I went for for the time I was outside, and M81 & M82 were just visible in the scope too. Didn’t work in my front garden that has the worst of the street lamps glaring in, so clearly needs a certain level of darkness to work with, but with a relatively dark space it seems to work well. Now just need to transfer the starsense bracket on to my 10” inch Newt at some point and test it on that. If that works OK I will fix it permanently on it if all goes to plan. :) 

• Like 3