Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First venture into mono imaging - the Soul Nebula

GraemeH

Excited to share my first image from my new QHY294M Pro camera.  It's not exactly Hubble quality as I only captured a couple of hours in total, and haven't yet taken any flats.  Calibrated with darks only for now.  I will over the next couple of weeks be trying to adjust my optical train to find the best backspacing between my flattener and camera and correcting the tilt.  I was very impressed by the tool in N.I.N.A.'s Hocus Focus plugin which has highlighted just how bad my backspacing is currently.

Scope: Skywatcher 72ED
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro
Camera: QHY294M Pro
Filter wheel: QHYCFW3
Filters: Antlia Edge series 4.5nm Ha, OIII & SII, and V series Pro RGB (all 36mm)
Capture software: Astrophotography Tool
Guiding: PHD2
Processing: Astropixelprocessor, Starnet++ V2 & Adobe Photoshop

Soul Nebula Hubble Palette with RGB stars.png

• Like 7

Really good for a first Mono image.  It would of course benefit from applying flats.

I have just done the same image interestingly also with a Skywatcher 72ED, which is a new scope to me.

Would love to see the results of this with flats applied, or is it too late and you have dismantled the camera from the scope? 

Carole 

Thank you Carole - everything is still assembled, so I'll take flats before I remove anything to add my newly acquired tilt adjuster and spacers. I wasn't expecting much with only 25 minutes each of OIII and SII, but it actually turned out quite nicely. 

I've spent a bit more time today on some slightly more considered editing (although I still haven't had a chance to take any flat frames yet).  I like this colour palette better than my first attempt, but I'm aware it still won't win any awards.

Comments and suggestions for improvement welcome.  Thanks for looking.

Graeme

image.thumb.png.fe8d63058e96961d227b5235be3e223e.png

• Like 1

Looks great. If you want to get rid of the green colour (which interferes with the colour balancing process) you can do a green noise removal on the RGB composited image in Siril and you'll get more of that blue/orange/yellow Hubble look. Sometimes it looks better with the green still in.