Narrowband

Moravian G2-8300 has ceased to function

tomato

I took my G2-8300 out of mothballs tonight to do some Ha imaging but although it connects OK to the software (NINA via ASCOM or SIPS with the Moravian native driver) after a couple of good subs I just get a dark screen or one with a light band down the LHS.

Powering down and reconnecting sometimes brings a couple of good subs back but then it reverts back again to the dark subs. The cooler control is fine and it is receiving a steady 12.9v as it has always done. I’ve swapped USB cables, no difference.

The question is, is it a dead parrot? It’s nearly 9 years old so it would have to go back to the Czech Republic with all the hassle that entails and if it isn’t a simple, cheap repair it probably isn’t economically viable.

Anybody else had a KAF 8300 camera exhibit this behaviour?

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, tomato said:

I took my G2-8300 out of mothballs tonight to do some Ha imaging but although it connects OK to the software (NINA via ASCOM or SIPS with the Moravian native driver) after a couple of good subs I just get a dark screen or one with a light band down the LHS.

Powering down and reconnecting sometimes brings a couple of good subs back but then it reverts back again to the dark subs. The cooler control is fine and it is receiving a steady 12.9v as it has always done. I’ve swapped USB cables, no difference.

The question is, is it a dead parrot? It’s nearly 9 years old so it would have to go back to the Czech Republic with all the hassle that entails and if it isn’t a simple, cheap repair it probably isn’t economically viable.

Anybody else had a KAF 8300 camera exhibit this behaviour?

Is the shutter sticking?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

@markse68 and @Adam J, you guys were right on the money, when I took the camera off I found this:

7F1139FB-E5AD-4217-82C8-DD25F687192D.thumb.jpeg.6eeed62b8a9e4dc1117e0cbe3e0d304d.jpeg

Further inspection revealed that the shutter vane had lost it’s clearance on one side, you can see where it had been catching in this photo:

119227BB-EDFB-4BC0-B790-F110A472EBAF.thumb.jpeg.fe696507c5fb73d68601b17fca1f9452.jpeg

I just bent the vane very slightly to restore the clearance and it appears to be operating 100% reliably once more. There are some ribbon cables associated with the integrated filter wheel which I may have misrouted when reassembling after a filter change, so it’s probably all down to me, apologies if I have trashed Moravian Instruments’ quality reputation.

Thanks for your feedback, I’m a happy CCD imager again👍😉

• Like 6