SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

decent mount for 6"/750 reflector

dybz

I am considering a Celestron Omni xlt 150 OTA, but I can't find a decent mount to match. I know you can pick it up with their eq mount, but I've read those are not great for beginners and this would be my first scope. When I look at alt-az mounts they all seem to top out at 10-12 lbs capacity while the Omni 150 weighs something like 12-13. Anyone have any recommendations on an alt-az tripod or a tabletop dobsonian mount to match this OTA? Does anyone even make/sell tabletop dobsonian mounts standalone?

Sky Watcher AZ4 is an option.

It can handle 6" newtonian very well - there is only slight issue near zenith as longer OTA can hit tripod leg and then you need to rotate legs depending where scope is pointing.

Another option is SkyTee2.

That is much more heavy weight alt az mount - and it comes with slow motion controls (above AZ4 does not). As a bonus - you can mount two scopes to it side by side (not sure if that will be interesting to you).

I should mention I am in the States. I was looking for an AZ-4, but they don't seem to be available here. Only the AZ-5, which is $420. I see the AZ-4 is priced at ~220 GBP, wish we could get something in that price range here. 

Edit:

I think I just found a store in England that will ship over here and total price is $250 for the AZ4. Might jump on that. 

Edited by dybz

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the SW AZ4 is rated at about 14 pounds capacity.  That means your 150 is going to be pretty close to the limit.  Generally, running close to the load limit gives less than satisfactory results.  Of course, there can be exceptions and I have no hands-on experience with the AZ4, just the AZ5.

• 2 weeks later...