Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which scope?

Hi guys.

A few years ago I was well into imaging etc. After years of not using the scope i would like to sell up and get something smaller and quicker. Quick one:  What would you recommend for a budget of £1000 to 1500 ? Has to be a ' go to ' for imaging etc

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Quicky

10 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Is that just for the scope or the whole shooting match? Assume the top end was supposed to be £1500?

Oops yeah,  1,500 quid. So mount , tripod and OTA. All in one , ready to go.  Just so its quicker etc. Then I hope to actually use it.  Long story   but being out if the game for a few years. I just won't have the time etc to get back into setting up my eq6 etc... 

Thanks

My understanding is that the minimum mount for imaging and go-to operation would be a HEQ5 or similar.

This puts a bottom limit of 990 UKP to your budget (maybe buy used? I bought mine for 550 EUR here in Athens).

Add a 80ED refractor, and this reaches 1.600+ UKP if you go for the Skywatcher 80ED DS-Pro, less if you go for an SVBONY or similar.

The HEQ5 mount can be carried as a set (head and tripod) without the counter-weights (these would need another trip).

N.F.

On 07/10/2022 at 22:45, Quicky said:

Oops yeah,  1,500 quid. So mount , tripod and OTA. All in one , ready to go.  Just so its quicker etc. Then I hope to actually use it.  Long story   but being out if the game for a few years. I just won't have the time etc to get back into setting up my eq6 etc... 

Thanks

Maybe the recent Sky-Watcher Staradventurer GTI (£599) and a 60mm SW evolux refractor (£558 reducer incl.)  would be something for you ?

The camera would be exceeding budget if it needs to fit in the total budget of 1500£.

But for £350 you may be able to score a used modified DSLR or save some more for a used 294/533MC.

Edited by Miguel1983
typo

23 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

Maybe the recent Sky-Watcher Staradventurer GTI (£599) and a 60mm SW evolux refractor (£558 reducer incl.)  would be something for you ?

The camera would be exceeding budget if it needs to fit in the total budget of 1500£.

But for £350 you may be able to score a used modified DSLR or save some more for a used 294/533MC.

Thanks very much! I'll take a look. I have a modified 300 D ☺ 

• Like 1