Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Really weird question, but how should the view be while using binoculars?

I always wondered (as titled) what targets should look like when using binoculars. What I mean is how "combined" each eye's view is, if there is overlap between the lenses, or if you shouldn't notice at all that you are looking through anything. Such as just a large open FOV without obstructions. I ask because I have owned a pair of Celestron SkyMaster 20x80's for many years. However I always seem to never just get a straight clear night sky view. Either I see the lenses overlap, or it's noticeable that I am looking through two separate lenses. So I don't really know what I should be expecting.

Hopefully that makes sense and someone can give me some insight.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trippelforge said:

Hopefully that makes sense and someone can give me some insight.

Edit: Sorry it should be a single view without obstructions.

I believe it is all due to IPD (Inter Pupillary Distance).

image.png

I had trouble with my 25x100 Binoculars, I could not get them merged to a single view.

I rolled the eye guard rubbers down, and the single view was there. 

My eyes are definitely not the 63 mm average.

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Trippelforge said:

That probably explains it then, so you don't have issues with smaller ones? I never tried to roll the eye guards, I will do that tonight. Thanks for the help!

No Tripprlforge, only the 25x100's they will not close enough for my silly eyes.

• Like 1

There is a simple way to get the right distance set. At daytime point the binos at a distant target and starting from widest position begin to bring the two barrels together until the two circles merge into one circle. Ignore the view. 

Once you see just one circle this is the correct ipd distance for you.

Ideally the objects you see should also merge into one. If not then the binos need collimation 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nik271 said:

There is a simple way to get the right distance set. At daytime point the binos at a distant target and starting from widest position begin to bring the two barrels together until the two circles merge into one circle. Ignore the view. 

Once you see just one circle this is the correct ipd distance for you.

Ideally the objects you see should also merge into one. If not then the binos need collimation 

I wonder if there is something going on with them. I am going to try when I get home during day light as you are suggesting. But I think I have the same problem during the day (been along time). I have a small pair that seem fine. If they are out of collimation is it possible to calibrate binoculars? I appreciate the help!

12 hours ago, Trippelforge said:

If they are out of collimation is it possible to calibrate binoculars? I appreciate the help!

Here is a thread on Binocular Alignment check with a mirror:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/843496-just-tried-binoculars-alignment-check-with-a-mirror-by-rafael/ 

Post by Raphael

https://sites.google.com/site/rchamon/home/optics/collimation-of-binoculars/binoculars-collimation-check-with-a-mirror?authuser=0

Hope that helps Tripp.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Don't know about yours, but Celestron Skymaster 15x70s are known for having a lot of quality control problems, at least here in the US.  I had a pair that I binned b/c I could never get them properly collimated.  I probably should have cut them into two monocular barrels because the quality of the individual lenses seemed pretty good. 

Also, some people have trouble merging bino images regardless of the collimation / quality of the binos.  I have trouble from time to time, but it's usually due to fatigue and then I switch to using just one eye at a time.  YMMV.

• Like 1