Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SH2-155 The Cave Nebula - First Light for my L-Ultimate

powerlord

I thought this target would make a good first light for my just arrived L-ultimate 3nm dual band filter.

50% moon up, and some weak oiii to capture - could it do it ?

200PDS and asi2600, and one night of 9.5 hours (!! it's getting dark early now - woohoo) of 600 second subs. Only a few wasted - forecasts of lots of cloud 1/2 way through the night unfounded !

Well, I am pretty impressed with its performance tbh. I've never shot this target before as it seemed a bit boring, but wow has this filter brought it to light. nice strong oiii and ha, and some merging and stretching in affinity photo and this is the result.

I think I'll add RGB stars next clear night, but for now - mono ones.

What I also find weird in this target, is that there are sooo many more stars on the blue side than the Ha side.. So, I assume the Hydrogen gas is blocking stars whereas the oiii isn't ? pretty weird.

Sorry about the slight band along the top - the asiair screwed up the meridian flip and 1/2 the subs were 10% lower, so had to blend that bit a fair bit as didn't want to loose the data.

sh2-155_cave.thumb.jpg.a5a8ac8597b54e161aa7d536f51f7a69.jpg

• Like 18