SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing the Summer constellations with Canon 12x32 IS binoculars

JeremyS

Earlier this week I was in Menorca and took the opportunity to observe with my relatively new IS bins. The sky was clear, though there was light pollution. The MW was still visible but not as bright as back home in Cheshire. However, the more southerly lat was the attraction.

My guide was the book below. Highly recommended.

I started with M92 and M13, both very easy.

Up into Cygnus to M39. Never really appreciated how this is - nicely set in its field.

Then down to M27 (easy) and onto M71 in Sagitta. Then a bit further west to Collinder 399, better known as the Coathanger.a longtime favourite bino target for me.

Down to M11, the wild duck cluster in Scutum. Looks like a tailless comet! As the book below notes, there in a star to the SE of the cluster which sets it off well 

From M11, up to IC 4745 in Serpens, a lovely big open cluster. Just to the wesr is NGC 6633, a bit faint, but still pretty. Slightly further west to IC 4665, an OC just N of beta Oph.

Next I went down into Sagittarius. M7 and M8, two lovely open clusters. Very rich!
In quick succession: M23 the Sagittarius Star Cloud, M18 (tiny OC), up to M17 (Swan Nebula, a tiny haze), up to M16(actually in Serpens Cauda, a delightful OC).

Staying in Sagittarius, 3 Messier objects close together: M8, M20 and M21. A stunning region!

Then my favourite globular (in a telescope), M22. The bins showed just how huge this is!

A few misses: M57 (too small and too faint?), M56 (I’ve seen this from home!), M10 and M12, 2 globs in Ophiuchus, Bernard’s E (I knew I needed very dark skies for that - another time, perhaps)

I also did a few doubles. Eps and Zeta Lyr were easy, but lovely. Albireo no test at all. Then 3 in Cygnus in quick succession: Mu, 79 and 61. I think this is the first time I have resolved 61 Cyg in bins. I couldn’t do it with the IS turned off, but with it on it was impressive. The final object was a triple star. Omicron 1 (31 Cyg) and 30 Cyg were easy. Then very close to Omicron 1 is a third star, mag 7.0 

Im sure I could have seen also these without IS. In fact I could as I checked. The exception was resolving 61 Cyg, as I noted. But IS made everything easier, more pleasant and quicker.

The other thing that really help in capturing all these in a 70 minute session was the bino guidebook 

image.thumb.jpg.719755329110dea3808a524f7166adbc.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great report, thank you 👍

I’m actually in Rhodes again this week, but didn’t bring the Canon IS (just the Nikon 8x30… also great for boat trips).

Had some great views… Jupiter and Mars are easy targets of course, but the moon is also now in view from our balcony 😃

We’re back next June for two weeks, so going to pack the 15x50 IS for that and try for some of the same targets you’ve located (I have the same book) 🤞

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1