Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modded dslr

73105EF5D497443EB61ED4B39F3CA544.jpg.080080d05ddbf8e699acd5916592c063.jpgHi guys.

Ok ive had my nikon dslr modded to full spectrum. 

So now I get red a lot of red  even after processing its red with not much else in colour is this normal .

I'm  being told that I now need to put an ir cut filter in but that seems like a waste of time since I had it taken out for the mod in the first place

I'm a bit confused so any advice is welcomed  this is the kind of thing I'm getting  is this what's to be expected ?

Best regards and thanks as always 

Edited by barrie greenwood

5 minutes ago, sharkmelley said:

Baader, Astronomik and many other manufacturers of astro-accessories produce a range of IR/UV blocking filters in different sizes, including clip-in filters.

Ok so what would be the best filter to look out for please forgive the noobness

On 02/10/2022 at 16:41, sharkmelley said:

You won't go far wrong with the Astronomik L-2 filter - it's the one I use.  But there are many other alternatives.

Ok so I'm using a nikon d0 cropped sensor and can't find a filter that clips in .

Can I mount the filter into the adaptor that fixes the camera body to the scope 

3 hours ago, barrie greenwood said:

Can I mount the filter into the adaptor that fixes the camera body to the scope 

It depends on the adaptor you are using.   Some are designed to accept 1.25" or 2" filters but other adaptors cannot accept filters.  You need to check what adaptor you have.

Edited by sharkmelley

2 hours ago, barrie greenwood said:

mount the filter into the adaptor that fixes the camera body to the scope

Hi

We can't tell because we don't know which which adapter you are using. The 200p comes with both 1.25" and 2" adapters.

So either This or this.will get you there.

HTH

Edited by alacant

43 minutes ago, alacant said:

Either a clip in filter for your camera or 2" filter, double sided tape:

IMG_20221006_183404.thumb.jpg.71d14c3ab6cc4658bfb7a5a41a841096.jpg  IMG_20221006_183628_1.thumb.jpg.8ec72252ca767773926cfdd6fa6bcc5e.jpg IMG_20221006_183731.thumb.jpg.1319637883e743ff0680543cf83916d1.jpg

Brilliant so I want to be getting the heart nebula in the browns etc instead of the reds so what filter would I need is it just a uv cut or a ha filter etc I'm new to the filter thing so know nothing about it at all 

18 minutes ago, barrie greenwood said:

a uv cut

The one you need to begin with is an ir cut. These usually include a UV cut off too. The latter is not needed for your reflector, but neither will it do any harm.

Rather than Ha, which will give you monochrome (process in shades of any single colour you like), try a UHC.

Links to ir the filters here. UHC from the same source.

HTH

Edited by alacant

11 hours ago, barrie greenwood said:

Brilliant so I want to be getting the heart nebula in the browns etc instead of the reds 

The Heart Nebula will look red (and not brown) using a H-alpha mod or using an IR/UV blocking filter with a full-spectrum mod.  Unmodified, it is pinkish-red.

The image you posted will have been done with a mono camera and filters.  

There is I believe an option to image in narrowband with a dual band filter, I think some of them come as a clip in filter.  I have never used one so others would need to advise.

Carole 

22 hours ago, barrie greenwood said:

How do I get it to be in this colour range is this a combination of different filters etc

images.jpeg.jpg

It looks like a false colour "Hubble Palette" image produced with 3 different narrowband filters (SII, H-alpha, OIII) which are then combined, one filter for each colour channel.  Although it is possible to do this with a full-spectrum DSLR, it is not easy because it complicates both the acquisition and the processing. I strongly recommend starting off by taking "normal colour" images with an IR/UV blocking filter on your modified camera.

Hi mate ok just been looking at a 685 nm 2 inch ir pass filter on amazon it does however say its for planetary photos moon etc .

Will this do for dso as well and also will it help with moon glare when it's up when i image dso or do I need a different wavelength I already have some ir filters for landscapes etc but they are at the 720 850 and 900 nm and I think this would only get bw at this higher end 

This is the link to the one I'm looking at 

Svbony SV183 IR Pass Filter 2in, 685nm Astrophotography Filter, Infrared Telescope Filter for Photographing Moon Planetary Nature Scenery https://amzn.eu/d/40cJ5k7

Regards Baz 

22 minutes ago, barrie greenwood said:

Will this do for dso

That will cut the vast majority of visible light; for dsos probably not what you want.

The easiest and cheapest way to approximate the blue/yellow false colour stuff on an osc is to split and recombine the channels from a UHC filtered image. But if this is your first attempt at deep sky, perhaps better to go with a longer wavelength ir cut filter (links above) and treat the camera as a standard astronomically modified version. In so doing record all the visible wavelengths whilst eliminating the fuzz from the out of focus ir. Even then, as you can see from your image, stars are well focused and without blur so unless you're planning to use a refractor, to begin with you probably don't need one as colour is easily corrected in processing.

HTH

Edited by alacant

1 hour ago, alacant said:

That will cut the vast majority of visible light; for dsos probably not what you want.

The easiest and cheapest way to approximate the blue/yellow false colour stuff on an osc is to split and recombine the channels from a UHC filtered image. But if this is your first attempt at deep sky, perhaps better to go with a longer wavelength ir cut filter (links above) and treat the camera as a standard astronomically modified version. In so doing record all the visible wavelengths whilst eliminating the fuzz from the out of focus ir. Even then, as you can see from your image, stars are well focused and without blur so unless you're planning to use a refractor, to begin with you probably don't need one as colour is easily corrected in processing.

HTH

Yeah the links above won't ship to the UK. 

What about this one

https://amzn.eu/d/9QuODDJ

Edited by barrie greenwood

Just to be clear here, in case there is any remaining confusion.  There are IR pass filters and there are IR blocking filters.

For astrophotography, an IR PASS filter is only useful for planetary and lunar imaging where you don't want any colour information from the visible spectrum.

An IR BLOCKING filter (or IR/UV blocking filter) is what you need for DSO imaging.

Mark

8 hours ago, barrie greenwood said:

the links above won't ship to the UK

AliExpress don't ship to UK? I never realised that. Sorry.

8 hours ago, barrie greenwood said:

What about this one

Not suitable for deep sky objects.

Maybe someone on the ground in UK could reveal the secret of getting a simple everyday 2" ir cut filter to you.

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, alacant said:

AliExpress don't ship to UK? I never realised that. Sorry.

Really ? 
Is that a result of Brexit then as they certainly used to ?
Shame as so long as you were not in a rush for something they were quite good for some accesories. 

Ah AliExpress do ship to UK, I thought they still did, it was just that particular seller on AliExpress that did not ship to UK, pleanty of other seller selling similar do.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang