Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh what a night + 2 first lights!

SteveL

I wasnt sure I`d actually go out last night, the weather really didnt look all that promising, but on the way home it was quite aparant just how clear the air was. As the sun went down, the stars poked holes into a pefect sky, darkening by the minute! What an amazing break in the weather... Anyway, two first lights for me last night.

Firstly, I had a chance to get the FLT98CF out to see the stars. I have some issues with the WO Flat3 and focal distance (or it could be that the Flat3 doesnt work well with the FLT98). I`m just waiting for the WO AFR-IV flattener to be shipped (again!).

Secondly, the QHY8, the Gerd Neumann filter drawer + Nikon adapter, and the DSLR lens, all piggybacked on the back of the ED80, getting a free ride to shot some wide field images while imaging "for real" with the FLT98.

I also added a Rigel Quikfinder to the FLT98, which works realy well.

20090327_setup01.jpg

20090327_setup02.jpg

With most of the wide field stuff disappearing into the western horizon early, or rising just before dawn, I returned to an old favourite I have imaged before.

OTA: FLT98CF @ f/5

Guiding: ED80 + DSI-C+ PHD (Lodestar decided to play up, so swapped it over instantly)

Imaging: SXV M25C + MaximDL, 14×600s, IDAS

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: PSCS2

(Click on image for larger version)

20090327_markarians_chain_800.jpg

I did image the Iris nebula, but it was very low, in the murk, and the clouds rolled in. The Iris is my Nemesis taregt, I have yet to get an image of it where everything works correctly.... bah!

Anyway, a couple of the widefield images taken with the Nikon lenses, and the Astrometry illustrated versions.

OTA: Soligar (Nikon fit) 35-200mm @ approx 70mm (piggybacked on EQ6 rig)

Imaging: QHY8, Nebulosity, (various)×300s, CLS

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: PSCS2

20090327_widefield3_800.jpg

20090327_widefield3_astrometry.png

20090327_widefield4_800.jpg

20090327_widefield4_astrometry.png

Star shapes with the QHY8 + Nikon lenses look OK, but I found a perfect condition Nikkor 28mm prime this morning, so added that to my collection :rolleyes:

I found that using the fine focus routine in Nebulosity helped me get to perfect focus with the Nikon lenses.... which is a relief, didnt really want to be cutting super small Baltinov masks for them ;)

I`ll go edit the images to show the capture details which I forgot to add (sorry!).

Had another first last night too... I got rained on while packing up! Man, that made me hurry!

That 28mm should be sweet an I would expect much distortion with it the astrometry solutions are good fits to the brighter stars with the images you took last night as well... ;)

Good to hear that the stars can still be analysed for focus in Nebulosity as well :rolleyes:

Peter...

If ever a man needed an obsy, you sure do!!!!!

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Great setup Steve, and weren't they great nights too. Those wides have come out vey nicely.

Did you run both cameras from one laptop? If, so, did you find any issues with the USB bus being too busy? Was it Nebulosity for the qhy8 and Maxim for the M25? This is exactly the system I want to utilize, QHY8 on the newt, 350D on the Wo72, and 400D with a wide angle lens, but I've been put off by all the wires and simultaneous doing things!

So the real question...........Which setup are you bringing to Lucksall ;)

Tim

yep, spectacular night, turned a little hazy towards the end, but mid-evening was just amazing. Easily found M13 in the binos, even a hint of M65 or M66 (couldnt tell which)... truly the best night so far this year.

Nebulosity for the QHY8, Maxim for the M25C. Both cameras from a single laptop (plus PHD guiding too). I didnt see any issues during this session, but that doesnt mean there wont be any.

As for Lucksall, I`m bringing as much kit as I can fit into the car.... and those who have seen me load/unload the car know just how much I can pack in. I reckon I can bring it all (EQ6/C11/190MN/FLT98/WO66/ED80/Nikon + M25C + QHY8 + all the other carp I have to drag out every night), and still have room for my essential Jaffa cake supplies :rolleyes:

Forecast is looking great again for tonight (ha! as if...). Dark at ~9.30pm (;)) but stays "dark" until ~4.45am.... if its clear, it may be the time to call in my day-in-lieu for working a saturday a while back.

I'm sure you will make the most of them ....

I "surfaced" about 5am and just had enough ttme to get the obs open and try a piggy backed shot with the 50mm f1.8 on the 1000D before dawn over took me... It seemed to be needed to be stopped down to about f4 to sort out the edge of field stars...

and boy is focus a PITA....

I can't wait obs "secured" and a better alarm and cctv fitted so the scope can be installed permentantly though an I can make the fine adjsutments to the mount...

Peter....

Thanks to all for the comments. I`m still working on the flatener, its not the recommended one for this scope, but until WO can manage to produce and ship the AFR-IV with all the elements pointing in the correct direction ;) , I`ll have to work with this one for the moment. On the larger version you can see that the star shapes are a little worse for wear in the corners. The recommended distance from flatenner flange to CCD is 56mm, and I`m at approx ~59-61mm or so, but with it not being the "right" flatenner in the first place, I`m not sure I`ll ever get this one right.

In the rush to get the kit back inside while it was raining, I did manage to really damage my back again, so have been extremly uncomfortable over the weekend. That, and having 1 hours sleep after packing up, plus getting 3 hours sleep on Saturday night before getting woken up by my wife returning from town with her mates, meant that when I was looking at the prospect of a clear dark sky and zero breeze last night... well I fell asleep before it got dark :rolleyes: Dammit....

You sound in a bad way Steve, hope the back sorts itself out. Those are fantastic pics esp the Markarian chain, beautifully crisp and wonderful FOV. Those WO flatteners don't work that well even with the scopes they are designed for!

How have you attached the QHY8 to the mount? Are you using the QHY8 nose piece before the filter drawer. Did you have any problems focusing at infinity or does the spacing work out ok? Sorry about all the questions!

Steve, would it be safe in your garden to just throw a cover over the kit in the event of a shower/rain?

I leave mine out all the time covered in a BBQ covering, which really makes it quick to set up and cover up if it turns for the worse.

Archived