Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with attaching scope to vintage mount

woldsman

Does anyone recognise this mount attachment and have ideas how to attach a dovetail plate? For example, is there a type of ADM saddle that can be fixed to it? Feeling stumped at present & would greatly appreciate suggestions.

E4613C07-896B-4692-B67C-FD390F9C0414.jpeg

For a temporary solution or if you decide to go without a dovetail, you could hold the OTA on the bracket with extra large hose clamps.  Rings were out of stock when I bought my ST120, so I used hose clamps to hold it on a Vixen rail.  They worked well and cost under $10 for two clamps.

I'm not sure what the largest diameter clamps are though.

Edited by jjohnson3803

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2022 at 11:30, doublevodka said:

Thanks - would this involve drilling a thread hole and attaching the dovetail clamp to each end? Sorry if I am asking the obvious. 

10 hours ago, woldsman said:

Thanks - would this involve drilling a thread hole and attaching the dovetail clamp to each end? Sorry if I am asking the obvious. 

Yes it doesn't look like there are any holes there already so you would potentially need to drill it. I've also seem scopes strapped to those kind of mounts with large jubilee clips with a rubber liner on the inside

• 1 month later...

I managed to fix up the vintage mount with the help of Astro Mick as I didn’t have a bench vice to clamp the mount head to when drilling. Hardest thing was to source a dovetail bar thin enough to fit inside the attachment. The M6 screw heads needed filing down to fit too.  In case anyone else needs to tackle something similar, here are the pics of the finished item.  

456FC637-40B9-4687-B53C-7A9500F00E2F.jpeg

18680C40-99C6-47F5-A318-FC3B3262255C.jpeg