Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, GRS and Moons with a Frac and Newt

Chris

I used the Frac on Wednesday night and the Newt on Thursday....its raining Friday night so Friday is for posting :)

First image  - Sky-Watcher Evostar 120mm achromat refractor with 2.5x Barlow and ZWO ASI 462mc. 40% of 1200 frames stacked in Registax6 and finishing touches in GIMP. 

Second image -Sky-Watcher 200p with 2.5x Barlow and ZWO ASI 462mc. 40% of 1200 frames stacked in Registax6 and finishing touches in GIMP. 

Third image - Stellarium showing relative position and names of the Jovian moons. 

23_07_42_finished.png

22_54_20_finish.png

Stellarium Jup Moon position.png

Edited by Chris
  • Like 12

Nice images Chris - the achro has done pretty well there. Conditions were pretty good on Thursday - I was out doing some sketching of Jupiter so interesting to compare with your image. What’s the GRB by the way? Great Red Blob? 😉

• Thanks 1

• Chris changed the title to Jupiter, GRS and Moons with a Frac and Newt
8 hours ago, RobertI said:

Nice images Chris - the achro has done pretty well there. Conditions were pretty good on Thursday - I was out doing some sketching of Jupiter so interesting to compare with your image. What’s the GRB by the way? Great Red Blob? 😉

Haha didn't even notice that, well 'spotted' (sorry)... great red blob does also work though 😁 I used a Semi-Apo filter with the achromat which does help sharpen things up but was really fighting the seeing on Wednesday. Thursday as you say was much nicer and the live view of Jupiter was really nice with the 200p.

Were you using the ED102 to sketch? Feel free to post the sketch here for comparison if you get time. 

@Chris I imaged Jupiter on Tuesday night (27th Sept), when conditions were quite favourable, here in SW Scotland.  I was also using the SW Evostar 120 achro, with a ZWO ASI224MC (no Barlow) and a UR/IR  cut filter and Wratten #8 yellow filter.  I can see that you had similar results to me, as in the two cloud bands turn from a brownish colour to a purplish one.

Here's two images from that evening, one the finished image and the other before much processing...

Critique is always welcome.

Jup_214208_Jupiter_lapl4_ap17_Drizzle30 version A.tif Jup_214208_Jupiter_lapl4_ap17_Drizzle30.tif

Jup_214208_Jupiter_lapl4_ap17_Drizzle30 version A.png

Jup_214208_Jupiter_lapl4_ap17_Drizzle30.png

Edited by Ian McCallum

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/10/2022 at 10:15, Chris said:

@Ian McCallum Nice before and after Ian :) The irony, hey! using some kind of minus violet filter seeming to result in almost violet weather belts 🤔  

light-violet-color-solid-background-1920x1080.png

23_07_42_finished.png

Here's another attempt at Jupiter, last week (with the Baader Contrast Booster).  I has tracking and alignment problems with the mount, which meant I lost several hours chasing my tail.  I did manage to get some images of Jupiter, but I couldn't quite get the focus right, using the new 2x BST Barlow..

Jupiter final.png

Edited by Ian McCallum
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2022 at 10:58, Mr Spock said:

@Chris Hope you don't mind, but, I've taken your image and done a bit of adjusting in DxO Photolab. Mainly around HSL to remove the violet from the frac.

Here's a before and after:

1962170611_JupiterC.thumb.jpg.1f638e6f757abb159d287290ce3bb816.jpg

Sorry I've only just found your reply! Don't mind at all, it's also made the Jovian moons stand out a bit more :)

• Like 1