SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

vdB 123 reprocessed

ollypenrice

I had another think about this one and got the star removal to work - ish. It was good enough to let me get more of a stretch into the faint stuff before putting them back.

RASA 8, ASI2600MC, Avalon linear. Joint project with Paul Kummer.

2051781720_vdb132Best3WEB.thumb.jpg.c00572456462439a008d64602ba13eab.jpg

Olly

• Like 15

Outstanding Olly! Stars look great. I usually start with Star XTerminator but if that does not do a good job I have started to use the new version of StarNet2. They are claimed to work according to different principles and sometimes one do a better job than the other. If I cannot decide I make a 50-50 mix.

It is just so sad that the only time this object is above my horizon is around midsummer, so hiding behind an eternally bright sky.

• Like 2

another cracking image Olly.  

42 minutes ago, gorann said:

I usually start with Star XTerminator but if that does not do a good job I have started to use the new version of StarNet2. They are claimed to work according to different principles and sometimes one do a better job than the other. If I cannot decide I make a 50-50 mix.

I've noticed they out do each other every time an update comes out.

• Like 2

On 02/10/2022 at 10:27, MartinB said:

The "misty morning" reflection nebulosity is beautiful.  Those orangy small stars do detract from the aesthetics a little, sometimes the divine create made life awkward for us.

Thanks for the comment, Martin. I'll have a look at that.

Olly

An inspiring target Olly - I wish I had the gear to image it but alas not the case.

I'm with @MartinB with this one - the stars are detracting from the beauty of the nebula.

I've seen this before when putting stars back into an image - whether it be StarX or Starnet that was used for removal.

1140231929_Screenshot2022-10-04at09_41_15.thumb.png.1cd0c2777fdd4198b1bbde5f7447449f.png

My experience is it is a whole lot easier to take the stars out than to put them back, irrespective of the method used.

I've tried lots of different approaches most of which result in a very two-dimensional image.

I have found the EZ-SoftStretch script in PI useful for processing the star image and even then it needs 'de-stretching' before recombining with ~((~starless)*(~stars)) in PixelMath.

Failing that I resort to multiple, incremental mini-stretches in HistogramStretch. I am sure there are equivalents in PS.

Adrian

• Like 1