SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A four panel mosaic of part of the Large Molecular Cloud in Taurus

peter shah

I love Dark Nebulae and The Large Molecular Cloud in Taurus has to be one of my favourites. This is a four panel mosaic featuring IC2087, IC2088 and NGC1539. Imaged remotely from Spain with the Epsilon 180ed and full format ZWO ASI2400MC Pro.  Exposures were 45 x 300s for each panel. Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop, this was a real challenge for noise control but to be fair it is  dark stuff in a dark sky so I'll take it for what it is.
Thanks for looking
Peter Shah

Large Molecular Cloud Mosaic 3.1 smaller.jpg

• Like 24

Thank you everyone for your comments...

39 minutes ago, tomato said:

Fantastic image Peter, I love how some sections are backlit by the blue energetic stars behind, great work.

Thank you ....yes me too Its a wonderful part of the sky...I'm in the process of grabbing a region just North of this.

• Like 1

That's great, shows how much is going on in an empty-looking region of space. Wonder how many of those dust clouds will burst into life in the next few million years?

Where exactly in Taurus are we looking please and what's the field of view. NGC1539 is an elliptical galaxy but I'm struggling to find it in frame.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

That's great, shows how much is going on in an empty-looking region of space. Wonder how many of those dust clouds will burst into life in the next few million years?

Where exactly in Taurus are we looking please and what's the field of view. NGC1539 is an elliptical galaxy but I'm struggling to find it in frame.

It is certainly a busy part of the sky, NGC1539 is a tiny spec in the upper right quadrant of the frame.   Coordinates are for the centre of the frame are:  RA: 04 30 12     Dec: 25 43 22       It is slightly north of the horns of the Bull, but there's plenty going on to the North going up to IC438 and NGC1333 near Perseus and then over to the California Nebula. .....its a huge area!!

11 hours ago, Dan_Paris said:

Incredible image with a huge impact, well done Peter !

Thank you Dan

Edited by peter shah

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

How good is that?

Perfection.

Olly

Thank you Olly, to be honest I did process it at least five times and at first I wasn't happy with the noise levels. However as you know it's very much part and parcel with this object type. I have a thing for dark nebula! I have found the key is careful calibration, without it you wont get nearly as much out as a lot of the signal sits very close to the noise floor. So I have a very specific routine for preparing the foundation of the data.