Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora possible on camera this weekend for Northern UK

Shimrod

On 03/10/2022 at 01:08, scotty1 said:

There's several photos from Northern England, and Scotland on the Glendale app now 

Also the Norfolk coast 

Only mist and LP here 👍

Looks like another good chance for Aurora tonight, if you can find anywhere with a clear sky!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's quite an illusive beast, I think I missed the display by about 20mins on Sunday.

Anyone looking north out to sea has a better chance. It's nearly two hours to a north facing coast from here, I just tried very local area. The humidity and mist was blooming village lights up, despite being north of town.  

8 minutes ago, scotty1 said:

It's quite an illusive beast, I think I missed the display by about 20mins on Sunday.

Anyone looking north out to sea has a better chance. It's nearly two hours to a north facing coast from here, I just tried very local area. The humidity and mist was blooming village lights up, despite being north of town.  

A couple of years ago, it was captured around where i live in Bedfordshire.  I was out at a dark spot that same night, looking in the right direction and taking photos. Despite all this i still managed to miss it 🙂  It is nearly always going to be a hint aurora from where i live. Norfolk did get a very decent display again, they have had a few this year, oh to live near Kelling.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Norfolk did get a very decent display again, they have had a few this year, oh to live near Kelling.

The problem with the north Norfolk coast these days is the abundance of offshore gas platforms and windfarms that are lit up like Blackpool Illuminations.

Last time I drove all the way up to Cley when there was a very good chance of visual aurora , from the car park I could make out a glow over the shingle bank you have to climb to see the sea and rushed up expectantly with camera and tripod only to be met with what looked like a ten mile long construction site about four miles out , I've seen dimmer lights at stadiums for night games ... I don't even think about making the trek these days.

• Thanks 1

On the Glendale app it's been picked up again tonight in North Norfolk. I'm trying to learn how the readings on that app, play out in real time.  The sub storm was -560nt. -BZ ,  Only KP4 on most indicators! 

Edited by scotty1

11 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

The problem with the north Norfolk coast these days is the abundance of offshore gas platforms and windfarms that are lit up like Blackpool Illuminations.

Last time I drove all the way up to Cley when there was a very good chance of visual aurora , from the car park I could make out a glow over the shingle bank you have to climb to see the sea and rushed up expectantly with camera and tripod only to be met with what looked like a ten mile long construction site about four miles out , I've seen dimmer lights at stadiums for night games ... I don't even think about making the trek these days.

I noticed them when i was at Weymouth last summer, didn't realise they were so bright. 

About 23.15 Sunday evening from Swaledale, N. Yorkshire.    Obvious coloured beams as I turned off the car lights.  had eased off by the time I got the camera set up...

...processed for impact.  The colour was very pale.  Paul.  P.S.  I see the video can be downloaded....

Project 4 avi.avi

IMG_9010 01.jpg

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing capture clarkpm4242. Kudos to you.

As for me, my current AB plan of action is that when i have the spare cash end of this year of early 2023, when a big flare is recorded as heading our way, im going to book a flight to either Iceland or Trondheim/Tromso in Norway (these cities are relatively cheap to fly to, even last minute). Then also book an Air BnB in either places, or possibly hire a car in Trondheim and drive a few hours further North and stay in an AirBnB around there. I have tested the logistics/prices this last month, pretend booking everything a day or two later than the day it was, and amazingly, even last minute, total cost for 2 people comes to around £1000 all in. Minus food costs, but thats the benefit of staying in your own AirBnB place, one has a kitchen, so food will be much cheaper than eating out..

Ive looked online and Trondheim seems to have gotten some very decent shows and the rental prices for small cabins/flats are suprisingly cheap. 

Ive really researched it and that's our plan. The other benefit of a last minute plan like this is that its much easier to forecast the weather. This is how my wife and i have arranged all our dark site weekends in the UK. All last minute, booking on the day we left, to ensure the weather was good.  

£1000 for 2 people, 5 days (4 nights) in Iceland/Norway during a strong flare period seems pretty decent to me and more importantly, within our budget if we can plan and save for 3-4 months between both of us (easier said than done at the moment in the UK)

Edited by MKHACHFE
  • Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 20:13, MKHACHFE said:

Amazing capture clarkpm4242. Kudos to you.

As for me, my current AB plan of action is that when i have the spare cash end of this year of early 2023, when a big flare is recorded as heading our way, im going to book a flight to either Iceland or Trondheim/Tromso in Norway (these cities are relatively cheap to fly to, even last minute). Then also book an Air BnB in either places, or possibly hire a car in Trondheim and drive a few hours further North and stay in an AirBnB around there. I have tested the logistics/prices this last month, pretend booking everything a day or two later than the day it was, and amazingly, even last minute, total cost for 2 people comes to around £1000 all in. Minus food costs, but thats the benefit of staying in your own AirBnB place, one has a kitchen, so food will be much cheaper than eating out..

Ive looked online and Trondheim seems to have gotten some very decent shows and the rental prices for small cabins/flats are suprisingly cheap. 

Ive really researched it and that's our plan. The other benefit of a last minute plan like this is that its much easier to forecast the weather. This is how my wife and i have arranged all our dark site weekends in the UK. All last minute, booking on the day we left, to ensure the weather was good.  

£1000 for 2 people, 5 days (4 nights) in Iceland/Norway during a strong flare period seems pretty decent to me and more importantly, within our budget if we can plan and save for 3-4 months between both of us (easier said than done at the moment in the UK)

Make sure you get somewhere outside of Reykjavik if going to Iceland- the city lights are bright enough to drown out all but the brightest aurora. Somewhere out to Borgarnes (north of Reykjavik) or east towards Selfoss would be good - both give a good base for day time exploring if you have not been to Iceland before, and will give plenty of dark sky (weather permitting) for aurora.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2022 at 22:45, Shimrod said:

Make sure you get somewhere outside of Reykjavik if going to Iceland- the city lights are bright enough to drown out all but the brightest aurora. Somewhere out to Borgarnes (north of Reykjavik) or east towards Selfoss would be good - both give a good base for day time exploring if you have not been to Iceland before, and will give plenty of dark sky (weather permitting) for aurora.

Thanks for the advice mate. Much appreciated