Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to set up and use a Dew heater on a refractor?

Hi all,

Bit of a rookie's question, perhaps?😁..if so, the answers might help others as well as me👍.

I've never used a dew heater/controller before, but on occasion I've had dewed up objective and finder or eyepiece, or both..

Can someone explain or show pictorially how such a setup could work on a 5" apo, what parts would be needed etc?

..and also recommended and affordable brands to look at?

Many thanks 👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo

I have a power bank I use a usb dew heater band placed just in front of the glass in the OTA .

I mount the power bank over the vixen clamp and wind the cable around the OTA, I have no dangling cables then I can use this set up out in the wild with my battery box powering my mount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave I use W&W Astro they work well and at a good price they also do a patch lead so you can use them off a usb the patch lead ups the voltage from 5 volt usb to 12 volt the one I got for a 5 inch refractor is long enough to fit my 7.1 inch MAK and 8 inch Newtonian and has lots of lead to 

Edited by Neil H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• F15Rules changed the title to How to set up and use a Dew heater on a refractor?

I bought a cheap one online, one for the refractor and one for the guidescope, and wrap them around the outer diameter in line with the glass so it conducts through. I tend to use separate usb power banks for them as they do use a lot of power if you use a portable battery to power your setup which I sometimes do.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much for all the replies guys!

So far, no one has mentioned using a dew band on finders or eps? With my finder I just wipe it gently with a Baader cloth, same with eps..and it's rare to have to do this, thankfully.

I like the idea of wrapping the lead around the ota, and going into a battery box.. I already have a battery box on my EQ mount for my RA drive, so to be able to keep them separate appeals..

Thanks again,

Dave

• Like 3

Me and Paul (wookie 1965) made up a dew shield for the finder scope this stops a lot of the dew problems 

As for eyepieces they are kept in a closed case and the ones I am using I keep in my pocket so they keep warm , Amazon have dew strips small enough for eyepieces in the camera section 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MTo0MzYyNDE1NjgwOTI5MTQ5OjE2NjQ0ODAwNzk6c3BfYXRmOjIwMDQ1NDQxMTM2MjA1OjowOjo&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&url=%2FTemperature-Regulator-Universal-Telescopes-Eyepieces%2Fdp%2FB08LGRVF9C%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1_sspa%3Fcrid%3D3DSM1MFGYPTSF%26keywords%3DDew%2Bstrips%2Bfor%2Beyepieces%26qid%3D1664480079%26sprefix%3Ddew%2Bstrips%2Bfor%2Beyepieces%2Caps%2C100%26sr%3D8-1-spons%26psc%3D1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jock1958 said:

My setup consists of a dew strap connected up to a power bank similar to @wookie1965 charged up battery lasts at least three good sessions. 

Surely Taks have their own branded green dew heaters. The look of that scope has been ruined by a clunky black band.🤣

Ok I admit it - Tak envy🙁

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Neil H said:

Hi Dave I use W&W Astro they work well and at a good price they also do a patch lead so you can use them off a usb the patch lead ups the voltage from 5 volt usb to 12 volt the one I got for a 5 inch refractor is long enough to fit my 7.1 inch MAK and 8 inch Newtonian and has lots of lead to 

I've just acquired some dew bands from Dew Control. They are W&W brand and what I appreciate is that the leads are available cut down to the length you require, and the plugs changed to 2.1mm barrel type to directly plug into the ASIAir. Have yet to install them.

Ian

I have just bought a complete dew rig out for all my scopes. For my 102 frac I bought a 4 channel controller and bands for the scope itself as well as ones for my finder and eyepiece. The scope band is placed on the tube directly over the objective lens. I will never have another night drastically cut short by dew. PS:- Bought from Dew Control 

Ian 

Edited by bosun21
Typo
  • Like 1