SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clavius 8 April

moondog

My compact digital only seems to get the exposure right at high magnification, so here's one last night of Clavius. The text on the image is for my records - I've a lousy memory!

EP projection, 200x, 5mm lanthanum, single image

image.jpg

MD

Ian

I guess there's not much we can do about the exposure then?

I've tried filters to even out the contrast a bit but that doesn't work

Still the advantage is that I'm learning more about the moon's features with all this close up work.

I would prefer not to have to work at the magnification limit of the scope all the time, but it usually seems to hold up pretty well.

MD

Steve

Can you ever resist a quick play!

Nice fix - thank you.

I did very little to the image myself as I hadn't the time. Just shows what can be done in the hands of an ace 'tweaker'!

:lol:

MD

MD, you say you have tried filters, which ones?

If you have Neutral Density filters try them rather than colours.

You can stack two filters together, that should reduce the brightness and bring into the cameras exposure range.

As Gaz says, reduce the ISO setting and / or increase the shutter speed should also do it for you, Try taking a sequence at different settings, then you can see what is happening.

naz :lol:

Gaz/Naz

I can't change the speed settings and I've tried different ISO settings from Auto and 64 to 800 ASA.

The camera will only let me reduce the exposure by -2 EV.

I've tried neutral density filters - problem is that the camera just compensates by changing the speed or aperture.

There isn't a manual setting either or I'd have a go at that.

It's only a tiny Richo pocket digital when all's said and done!

Cheers

MD

Understand MD, I have a Kodak basic that has less control, and that is useless for anything other than snapshots in the sun.

looks as though you will have to save some pennies and get a camera with full manual over ride.

naz :lol:

Steve

It's the RV1.

Bought it for wideangle shots of landscapes and buildings, and before I thought of using it for astro work.

I'd have bought something else, as the RV1 has a reputation for 'noisy pixels' in low light. ( I didn't get it for low light shots)

Having complained about the RV1 I'm still quite impressed with some of the results. I just don't particularly want to stick to 200x images all the time!

Part of the problem is the digiscope adaptor - it's difficult to get the part I want to take a shot of in the centre of the camera screen. It usually seems to be off to one side or the other. Trying to move the image to the centre with either the fine adjustment screws on the digiscope, or using the HEQ5 hand controller often means a degraded or vanishing image.

I could use spot metering if I could get the bright part of the image to the centre of the RV1 screen. That would probably sort out the exposure problem.

I know a DSLR would also sort out my current problem and enable me to take DSO 's as well - but at a cost.

MD

Hi MD,

The Ricoh R1V is a great digi-compact.

It has speeds from 8 - 1/2000 seconds and three metering patterns (Multi, Center, Spot)

You can use your camera to photograph the moon, without overexposure.

There is no need for Manual Exposure.

Select Spot metering and try again - so long as the very center of the image is over a mid-bright part of the moon, you will be OK.

:lol:

Steve

Thanks - I'll have a go again with the spot metering. It's just so fiddly trying to to get the correct part of the image under the spot meter. Particularly when you are trying to take a shot before the clouds roll over!

MD

Steve

With a digiscope adaptor - from Scopes n'Skies (like the OVL one)

It has micro screw adjustment 'up & down and side to side' seemed easier to use than some I looked at.

I might try the 30mm 80 deg 2 inch Moonfish EP for lower power shots as this has a large eye lens. It may be easier to get the image over the spot meter

MD

MD

I understand your frustrations with the adapters etc. I have a steady pic holde and it is a right pain to get the image just right.

With bright objects it is just easier to hold to camera.

I hope you work out the best way to get wide angle view and look forward to seeing the images.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Guys

With a sky-full of moon last night I spent about an hour messing about with the digiscope and camera.

I think I've cracked it.

I was not being careful enough attaching the digiscope to the EP or adjusting the image.

I can now (usually) get the view I want in the spot meter area of the camera and get a good exposure.

I found that the R1V has an exposure bracketing feature which takes 3 shots - 2 either side of the normal exposure. A very useful gizmo.

Thanks for the comments and help!

MD

Archived