Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Processing Planetary videos with Stakkert and Registax

DonPierce

I recently took videos of Jupiter. I did 6 one minute videos one right after the other.

Now my dilema:

1) To join these videos in PIPP and put the one video into Stakkert. Then process the final image in Registax.

2) Run each video in Stakkert. End up with six images and then Stack in Registax.

Not sure which will give you a better final image?

I understand you can derotate in WinJupos and I guess then stack?  Not familiar enough with this program yet.

So many paths to take but which works overall to start?

11 hours ago, DonPierce said:

I recently took videos of Jupiter. I did 6 one minute videos one right after the other.

Now my dilema:

1) To join these videos in PIPP and put the one video into Stakkert. Then process the final image in Registax.

2) Run each video in Stakkert. End up with six images and then Stack in Registax.

Not sure which will give you a better final image?

I understand you can derotate in WinJupos and I guess then stack?  Not familiar enough with this program yet.

So many paths to take but which works overall to start?

My preference would be to separately process each image in AS3! and Registax, then de-rotate and stack in WinJupos, with final wavelet tweaks in Registax. It's a bit of a fag, but that's how I've always processed mine. If you're going to join 1m vids in PIPP to then de-rotate the entire session, why not just shoot a 6 min SER derotate that in WinJupos and be done with it? I know you said that you're not familiar with WinJupos, but its an excellent tool once you get to grips with it. Good luck.

• Like 1

Think the most conventional method is to stack (and process?) each video and derogate in winjupos. Problem with this in your case is that you could/should probably be recording slightly longer videos so that each stack has a sufficient number of frames. You could combine two or three consecutive videos in PIPP and produce 2 or 3 stacks instead. 

I’m not sure how much winjupos can tolerate, but damian peach goes for ~45 minutes of data per image so you can certainly do 3 or 4, 3 minute videos next time. Stack, sharpen, derotate, sharpen a bit more. 

Note that you could, aperture dependent, probably just combine all 6 and see what you get. Compare to one of the 3 minute combinations and see if you notice rotation blur.