Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter under duress 29th Sept

neil phillips

Once again showed cloud and rain over suffolk. It was clear. So, I thought I would at least try and break the ice of the long drought. So, I used 

My daughters old Celestron Powerseeker 4.5 " Newtonian. 18 year old mirror and coatings. It's not going to set the world alight. But I do find it interesting to see what's possible. Seeing wasn't great. 

2022-09-28-2329_4-DeRot_jupiter 4.5 newt.png 100.png 80.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Amazing - why am I fighting with a C14.....🤷‍♂️

I dont think seeing has been that good recently. You wait until you get really calm air. It will murder this Geoff. With winter coming house roofs will be a no no though. Which messes me up big time. As there's a roof opposite right where Jupiter will be here. Mars will fare better higher. 

Just now, neil phillips said:

I dont think seeing has been that good recently. You wait until you get really calm air. It will murder this Geoff. With winter coming house roofs will be a no no though. Which messes me up big time. As there's a roof opposite right where Jupiter will be here. Mars will fare better higher. 

I suspect that had a lot to do with my very poor seeing early on yesterday evening. My house is pretty mych due east of the observatory, so everything rises over that. Then by the time the planets transit, they are over my neighbours house, so it's a good hour after transit that the are over open fields or rear gardens. My best images have always been well after the target transits, unless very high up.

6 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I suspect that had a lot to do with my very poor seeing early on yesterday evening. My house is pretty mych due east of the observatory, so everything rises over that. Then by the time the planets transit, they are over my neighbours house, so it's a good hour after transit that the are over open fields or rear gardens. My best images have always been well after the target transits, unless very high up.

Yep makes perfect sense. I've seen it a thousand times myself. So, the effect is real. Can't change thermal behaviour unfortunately 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, si@nite said:

Very respectable that Neil, conditions have been lousy here and looks to continue!

Yeah, same Simon. One reason I did this. I could get it in fast, if rain came. But seeing has taken a dive so far here too. Thats when i trust setting up mind. Which lately is never

Edited by neil phillips
  • Sad 1