Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12v Hairdryer

bosun21

Stick a lightweight dew shield even on the Dobsonian @bosun21. I have a cassegrain and a diy lightweight dew shield has made all the difference on recent nights even while every other surface around me was dripping wet (including the inside surface of the dew shield).

Edited by josefk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bosun21 said:

Why it’s not going to be raining!

Moisture will find a way to get it, it always does. Given your conditions I would have probably tried a dew shield first.

A while back i made a light shield out of 5mm foam and velcro.  It cost about 15 bucks and 15 minutes to make.  It works very well blocking out the full moon and on nights that aren't insanely dewey... It works decently as a dew shield.  

A 12V hair dryer presents no risk of electric shock.
Even when standing in a pudlle with rain on your head😄

For anyone considering such a device for spot heating.
My recommendation is to use a separate battery.
At motor start, the very high inrush will cause a voltage dip on the 12V supply, risking mount shutdown, loss of position, etc.

Even if you go for a mains dryer, the RCD in the mains feed to your observing station will protect you.

I have used both mains and 12V dryers at different times.

HTH, David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
Spilling mistook
  • Thanks 1

An unheated fan blowing across the mirror might do it. Nobody seems to do this, but a Sky and Telescope article years ago said fans should blow across the mirror to break the boundary layer. Moving air is also much less prone to depositing dew.

Olly

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

An unheated fan blowing across the mirror might do it. Nobody seems to do this, but a Sky and Telescope article years ago said fans should blow across the mirror to break the boundary layer. Moving air is also much less prone to depositing dew.

Olly

I will use the dew shield and leave the fan running on the primary mirror. That should do the trick hopefully.

18 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I will use the dew shield and leave the fan running on the primary mirror. That should do the trick hopefully.

Try it with and without the fan.  Be looking for vibration. I never run a fan.  

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Imagers have fans right on their cameras all the time without issue. You need the right kind, with contactless bearings.

Olly

I am certain they do, i am also very certain they are better fans then what come on the normal run of the mill dob