Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bode's and the Cigar

beamish

I've been sitting on this for over a week, cos I just seemed to have a hit a wall. Then I read a post from Rob Hodgkinson and a bulb went off ( Cheers Rob !!;))

So here is my humble effort.

29x 240secs @ ISO 800 with some darks and bias . Taken with the good old Cape and a self modded 300D and guided admirably with the WO 66SD and QHY5 & PHD. Processed in DSS and PS CS3 ext

Now if some one would be so kind as to explain how one frames a picture ????:rolleyes:

Karlo

Oooh, I forgot to mention that this is a flattened image of 3x with variable transparency, since I couldn't get comfortable with the relative details in each of the seperate files, so I layered them with the brightest stuff at the bottom ! Can't do masking yet

beamish-albums-karlo-s-pics-picture1431-half-size-bodes-cigar-4-3-images-flattened.jpg

Excellent shot Karlo.

As for framing I suppose either in camera or with post processing. I normally frame by cropping the photo in this case by putting M81 in one corner and M82 in the opposite corner. More pleasing to the eye.

But this might be better to do before taking the exposure.

Nice one Karlo ;)

I find you can normally get enough detail in a 1min sub at ISO 1600 to use for framing shots. I tend to pre plan the framing using an astro package. I have the FOV of all my scope and sensor combos defined so I can decide what setup to use and also work out the centre co-ords and what angle to set the camera at. I then make a sketch of the brighter stars and can use shorter exposures to match the sketch tot he capture image...

one thing I need to do is print an overlay grid for the laptop screen that I can turn to match the camera angle so I make the right slew adjustments

Peter...

;) I was happy to get 'em on the screen on this occasion ! It wasn't going too well to start with so when I saw them both on, I thought I'd better jump- you know what the weather can be like .

Thanks for the comments, I will try harder re the framing :rolleyes:

Karlo

Cheers chaps.

I think there is more data available, it's finding the right balance between the two subjects and the gradient that's present.

I'm hoping to have another go at imaging them at some point , in particular, wanting to get real close to the Cigar as a solitary target. Been meaning to try for a while, failed last time out ! ;)

Karlo

hey cheers guys, you've just made my night. ;) Things look fantastic outside but I've been plagued with niggly problems including leaving the bl**dy mask on !!

Did a star test and collimation appears okay, currently having a bash at M51 now that it's come around the tree ( that I planted !!)

I haven't seen a night sky look as good for a very long time,slow to clear mind.

Thanks again chaps, especially you Rob for dropping the penny !

Karlo

one for Ian ! :rolleyes:

beamish-albums-karlo-s-pics-picture1449-one-4starflyer.jpg

Archived