SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How many EP's do you currently have ??

Telescope40

All my eyepieces are Explorer Scientific in 68 or 82 degree numbers, 5 in total and a focal extender. In fairness could probably live without the 20 mm and the  focal extender. Al Naglar once said, and I paraphrase here, that 3 or 4 eyepieces are all anyone needs…. I concur 

29 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

All my eyepieces are Explorer Scientific in 68 or 82 degree numbers, 5 in total and a focal extender. In fairness could probably live without the 20 mm and the  focal extender. Al Naglar once said, and I paraphrase here, that 3 or 4 eyepieces are all anyone needs…. I concur 

Unless you have a binoscope and then it’ll be 6 or 8… 😉

Peter

Edited by PeterW
Typo
  • Haha 1

I lived for years (at least 15) with a 38mm Rini MPL, 14mm and 5.2mm Pentax XLs, a 9mm Vixen LV, and a 1.25" Tele Vue 2x Barlow.  That was it, believe it or not. 🤫

The slippery slope began when I bought a 40mm Meade 5000 SWA on clearance along with a GSO CC back around 2013.  The combo was so much better than the 38mm Rini that I began to seek out more and better eyepieces.  And the rest, as they say, is history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

The only way to settle the 'what's best' argument, is to have one of each :biggrin:

Unfortunately, that's all too true.  It's only with back to back comparisons that you start to realize how eyepieces differ from each other, and how each has its strong and weak points.

Whoa... guess I'm a bit of an outlier here. I currently own 9 eyepieces - if we're counting the TV Barlow. Those should soon become 8 though - I expect I'll be moving on an XW 10 in favour of keeping my Morpheus 9mm tucked in with his brothers in the line-up. I'm missing the Morph 4.5mm and 14mm but I don't really think I'd have any use for the latter and have instead opted for a Takahashi LE 5mm in the low-FL range. Add to that an APM UFF 30mm and the venerable RKE 28mm for public outreach and that's really it.

I'm ashamed to say... I don't think I'd like to / need to have any more EPs! 🥴

I love my Morpheus EPs so I"d dearly love to get the 17.5mil - said to be the best of the range-  but I have a StellaLyra 68° 18mm. I just can't bring myself to get rid of it - it's an excellent little eyepiece. I don't think a 0.5mm difference in f/l really justifies shelling out £££. Sigh.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I love my Morpheus EPs so I"d dearly love to get the 17.5mil - said to be the best of the range-  but I have a StellaLyra 68° 18mm. I just can't bring myself to get rid of it - it's an excellent little eyepiece. I don't think a 0.5mm difference in f/l really justifies shelling out £££. Sigh.....

I haven't used the StellaLyra so can't directly compare but the Morpheus 17.5mm is indeed a fantastic EP. Had a bit of a break from astronomy but returned to the hobby a few years back, and the Morpheus 17.5mm was the first EP I bought to replace my knackered 18mm Meade UWA. The Morpheus is a far better eyepiece and probably my favourite of all the EPs I currently own. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, badhex said:

I haven't used the StellaLyra so can't directly compare but the Morpheus 17.5mm is indeed a fantastic EP. Had a bit of a break from astronomy but returned to the hobby a few years back, and the Morpheus 17.5mm was the first EP I bought to replace my knackered 18mm Meade UWA. The Morpheus is a far better eyepiece and probably my favourite of all the EPs I currently own. 

Oh, don't! You're only making it worse!

• Haha 1

On 06/10/2022 at 21:17, Louis D said:

Unfortunately, that's all too true.  It's only with back to back comparisons that you start to realize how eyepieces differ from each other, and how each has its strong and weak points.

I find different ep's give different experiences and am always finding something new in their performance.

• Like 2

The most critical part of an optical train is the mind. Certain things defy rational analysis, for example, why do I feel that the difference between my Pentax XWs and my Morpheus EPs, both of which give me perfect views in my F6 dob, is so marked? The Pentax 'feel' cold, impersonal and efficient and the Morpheus warm and involving. The answer has to be me and me alone.

Similarly, some swear by the views in a refractor, some in a cat, some in a newt and refuse to be swayed by logic. As my mother always said: "It wouldn't do for us to all be the same."

Sorry, bit off topic.