Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many EP's do you currently have ??

Telescope40

3 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I know this thread is not a competition but FYI I must have at least 100 eyepieces, mostly 2nd hand or donated.  Mostly low to mid range, notables are a 16mm Clave Plossl, TV 3-6mm zoom, Leica zoom and 42mmLV.  Also have some antique brass RAS thread orthos, Tolles and Monocentric versions.     🙂

Photos or it didn’t happen

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

TeleVue...
3x Plossl's... 8mm - 13mm - 15mm
2x Radian's... 6mm - 8mm
2x Nagler's... 13mm [Type 1 & Type 6}
1x Nagler... 3-6mm zoom

Meade... 
3x Plossl's... 9.7mm - 20mm - 24mm
1x UWA... 8.8mm [series 4000] 

Circle-T...
2x Ortho's... 6mm - 12.5mm

SkyWatcher... 
1x LET|LER... 2"/28mm

others...
2x AB*... 18mm WA
1x AB*...  7-21mm zoom
1x Orion... 12.5mm illuminated reticule
1x 'unknown'... 0.965"/6mm Ortho & 1.25" adaptor
1x 'unknown'... brass RAS & 1.25" adaptor*** [image at bottom of page]
...plus a few others.

Barlow’s, diagonals, ff/fr’s etc...
1x TeleVue... [x1.8]
1x Klee... [x2.88]
1x AE**... [x5] barlow/imagemate*
1x AE**... 1.25" Magni-Mate [x1.6]
1x AE**... 1.25" focal reducer [x0.6]
2x f6.3 FF/FR... [1x  Celestron / 1x Antares]
2x TeleVue star diagonal
2x Celestron [1x 90deg / 1x 45deg]
1x 'generic' mirror star diagonal
1x Altair Astro SCT star diagonal for 2" & 1.25” (with reducer)
1x Lunt Hesrchel/solar wedge
1x eyepiece projection unit/adaptor***
...plus a few filters

Image below of my...
'generic' 90deg. mirror star diagonal [left] 
'unknown' brass RAS eyepiece in its 1.25"adaptor*** [centre]
eyepiece projection unit/adaptor*** [right]
cropIMG_0386.jpg.c91450af54af870709286c710e543243.jpg

*AB = AstroBoot.            **AE = Astro-Engineering.           *** made for me by Beacon Hill Telescopes.

Edited by Philip R
a few more additonal items to list I had forgotten to include at time of posting.
  • Like 3

11 in regular use (counting Barlows, etc): Baader Morpheus 6.5, 9 and 12.5

Pentax XW 5 and 14

StellaLyra 68° 18 and 2" 80° 20mil

Vixen NPL 30

OVL Hyperflex 7.2-21.5 zoom

ES 2x Focal Extender 1.25"

StellaLyra 2" 2x Barlow 

Plus the usual freebies / no longer used ones.

The only one that doesn't get out much is the SL 68° 18, which is a great EP but outshone by the SL 80° 20.

My favourites are my Morphs and the SL 20mil.

[I think there's a fellow on CN named Bill Rose whose collection is large enough he can't photograph them in one shot.

"She never mentions the word addiction in certain company"  LOL.]

I got to thinking about the number of eyepieces that you need to have a full set.

Low power: 3.5-10x/inch

Medium power: 10-20x/inch

High Power: 20-30x/inch

UltraHigh power: 30-50x/inch

I can see a reason to have 2 eyepieces in each slot = 8 eyepieces.

If your seeing is always poor, maybe none in the UltraHigh category = 6.

But then there are the observers who like to have specialty eyepieces for planets, so add maybe 4 more.

So you can probably rationalize 10-12 eyepieces.

Now, if you have a really good 2X Barlow, you can cut the number of eyepieces and use the Barlow, though I rarely see that.

Barlows are often added to already considerable collections, LOL.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Now, if you have a really good 2X Barlow, you can cut the number of eyepieces and use the Barlow, though I rarely see that.

Barlows are often added to already considerable collections, LOL.

I often say to people all you really need is a good main single eyepiece as a finder/wide view piece and a good zoom with a quality barlow, and it's exactly what I have, along with a load of others I want. 😂 (See note 2 below)

3 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

NW-many

NW + the number of eyepieces I want 🤣

Edited by bomberbaz

Six but most of them are pants. The only one I actually bought by itself was a 6 mm TMB planetary clone. Then there's the Skywatcher 25 and 10, Celestron K20 and SR4 (yuck), and an eyepiece salvaged off an old binocular which is something like 30 mm focal length.

I've done very little observing for some time. When my neighbours took to leaving their lights on all night, and then got one of those horrific motion-activated insecurity lights, that really drove me away from it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Two plössls that came with the scope (not in use).

In use and permanently residing in EP-case:

One Panoptic 

Four Delos

x2 Barlow

Initially had a minimalist approach to eyepieces, and even though that’s not really the case anymore I still try to limit myself. 

Not just because of cost but I think if I had a wide array of EP’s I would constantly be changing eyepieces to find an optimal view instead of just relaxing and enjoying what is there. With the barlow there is a lot of choice actually but the threshold of adding it limits the number of times I use it.

Edited by davhei
  • Like 1

I don't know but just guessing, around 40, or  50, or 60 ...

I'm living in Romania, the market open here for telescope dealers only around 2005. So I had not much time ( not speaking about money) to collect all eyepieces I wanted.

I built my first Dobsonian in 1990. For a couple of years my best eyepiece was a 20mm Kellner providing 73x.

My eyepiece collection is very variegated, from 15mm Keplerian to three Planetary, two Radian, home-made Ramsdens,  0.96'' Ortho's , three Tolles, many Kellners , some cheap 2'' Erfle, two zoom, one X Cel, many Huyghens, four Barlows ....

Grrr ... because I have read this very interesting and somewhat funny thread, now I must count my eyepieces.

Thirty years ago I was a very poorly equipped amateur astronomer and no resources around to improve on that. I still remember the joy and happiness of getting a new eyepiece.

I still love and cherish most of them.

I add some random pics, never took a ''family picture'' of my eyepieces.

Mircea

DSCN0986.JPG

1euro001.JPG

DSCN1670.JPG

DSCN8278_823.JPG

• Like 5

A small (compared to some on here) and eclectic collection...

32mm/48 (ish) Plössl

20mm/68 ES

16mm/82 OVL Nirvana

9mm/82 Nagler T6

6mm/50 (ish) TMB Planetary

5mm/60 BST

Hyperflex 7.2-21.5mm zoom and SVbony 7-21mm zoom (bought whilst waiting for the Hyperflex to be in stock).

Baader 2.25x Barlow and an ES 2x focal extender.

I make that 8 actual EPs, bought as a mixture of new and s/h. I don't use the zooms much since I don't like the narrow FOV but they're handy sometimes. These cover most requirements in my 3 Newts in sig below.

22 hours ago, wulfrun said:

Hyperflex 7.2-21.5mm zoom and SVbony 7-21mm zoom (bought whilst waiting for the Hyperflex to be in stock).

Baader 2.25x Barlow and an ES 2x focal extender.

I make that 8 actual EPs, bought as a mixture of new and s/h. I don't use the zooms much since I don't like the narrow FOV but they're handy sometimes. These cover most requirements in my 3 Newts in sig below.

great for busting doubles and globulars

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

A dozen or so (maybe still more binoculars than eyepieces), though have a binoscope does mean that the eyepieces multiply rather faster than I’d like!

Peter

PS probably have more filters than eyepieces too… but again I’m not going to count them, just in case!