SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How many EP's do you currently have ??

Telescope40

51 minutes ago, Louis D said:

72 unique eyepieces.  Several are duplicated for binoviewing.  I also have dedicated microscope eyepieces for my microscopes, but I only use one pair of them for astronomy, so not counting the rest.  I have a TMB Planetary II 2.5mm incoming, so 73 then.

248802217_EyepieceCollectionGroupShot1.thumb.JPG.dc1a98b3b03e2db6212852a4dfeccf63.JPG

A couple of newer ones didn't make it into that the group photo like the 20mm Meade 5000 UWA and 40mm Lacerta ED.

Ha, love this. Nothing wrong with collecting eyepieces, quite enjoying comparing them myself in different conditions/targets etc.

• Like 2

I think I have the following roughly, including pairs for binoviewing...

2 Naglers

8 Delos

1 TV Plossl

4 Vixen NPLs

9 Vixen SLVs

1 BST

2 ES82"s

1 Baader 8-24 Zoom

1 Baader microguide

10ish non descript plossls

• Like 2

I’ve sold quite a few recently so at the moment I’m left with 

6 x Baader Morpheus 

1 x ES 24mm 68 degrees 

1 x Baader aspheric 31mm

2 x Vixen silvertop 26mm plossl’s 

1 x 17mm Vixen silvertop plossl

2 x Celestron widefield plossl’s 32mm/40mm

1 x ES 1.25” tele extender

1 x Vixen Silver 2x barlow.

1 x 12.5mm illuminated reticle 

I also have the usual collection of supplied with scopes cheap eyepieces in a corner somewhere. I am also now just starting out on collecting pairs for my new binoviewer and only have the pair of 26mm Vixen silvertop plossl’s for now.

Edited by bosun21
Typo

10 hours ago, Paz said:

I think I have the following roughly, including pairs for binoviewing...

2 Naglers

8 Delos

1 TV Plossl

4 Vixen NPLs

9 Vixen SLVs

1 BST

2 ES82"s

1 Baader 8-24 Zoom

1 Baader microguide

10ish non descript plossls

I make that about 39 eps, Chris..so you're just over halfway to Louis' total...👍😋

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Do tell…

I have a 30mm, which is usable on my 12.5" f/5.75 (f/5, coma corrected) but not the future 16" f/4.3 (f/3.75, coma corrected).

It's exit pupil is already larger than my pupil in the 12.5", but the secondary shadow would become visible in the f/4.3.

My dark adapted pupil diameter is only 4mm, or a tiny hair larger than that.  That makes eyepieces longer than 17.5mm in the 16" progressively more problematic as they get longer in FL.

I could deal with up to a 22mm in the 16" (I have a 22mm), but not larger.

I may keep both scopes, though, and just assign the 30mm to the 12.5".  It also works fine in my 4" f/7.

That's not the one likely to go, though.  I have an 8mm I almost never use.  I skip from 9mm to 7mm and the 8mm gets almost no use.

I guess that's one way we know what to sell--an eyepiece that never gets used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

72 unique eyepieces.  Several are duplicated for binoviewing.  I also have dedicated microscope eyepieces for my microscopes, but I only use one pair of them for astronomy, so not counting the rest.  I have a TMB Planetary II 2.5mm incoming, so 73 then.

248802217_EyepieceCollectionGroupShot1.thumb.JPG.dc1a98b3b03e2db6212852a4dfeccf63.JPG

A couple of newer ones didn't make it into that the group photo like the 20mm Meade 5000 UWA and 40mm Lacerta ED.

I think there's a fellow on CN named Bill Rose whose collection is large enough he can't photograph them in one shot.

"She never mentions the word addiction in certain company"  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 in the UK and 3 in Italy.

At some point I could likely sell 3 eyepieces I have here though, settling at 13.

I also have 2 barlows which are going nowhere BTW.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

I just realized I do have a use for so many eyepieces.  It allows me to directly compare eyepieces without having to rely on memory (which is getting pretty iffy as I age).  That, and I can do direct tests on similar eyepieces so others can get an idea of where a particular eyepiece slots in with respect to known eyepieces.

• Like 7

Technically 14, if you include the cheap ones that came with scopes or I bought out of curiosity.

32mm plossl   <--- Will upgrade this to something better in a 2"

25mm plossl x3    <--- I keep getting them with used scopes

25mm Xcel, 19mm Russell Konig, 7mm TMB II, 7mm Xcel, 5mm Xcel    <--- These are my main lenses

23 & 10mm aspherics   <--- I was curious)

9mm Meade MA (?) I don't like it and put it in the focuser as a cover. 

20 & 10 mm Celestron somethings that came with a cheap scope. 

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

I just realized I do have a use for so many eyepieces.  It allows me to directly compare eyepieces without having to rely on memory (which is getting pretty iffy as I age).  That, and I can do direct tests on similar eyepieces so others can get an idea of where a particular eyepiece slots in with respect to known eyepieces.

Also, your ruler test posts provide a great immediate image reference of views for people when contemplating a new EP. I have certainly been convinced a couple of times due to those!

My collection is a bit bigger than I thought! 

A-team

Baader Morpheus 4.5mm
Baader Classic Ortho 6mm
Baader Classic Ortho 10mm
Pentax XW 10mm
Baader Morpheus 17.5mm
APM UFF 24mm
Aero ED 2" 35mm
Aero ED 2" 40mm
TeleVue Panoptic 2" 41mm

APM Superzoom 7.7-15.4mm

B-team

BST Starguider 3.2mm
BST Starguider 5mm
BST Starguider 8mm
Meade 5000 HD-60 9mm
BST Starguider 18mm
Meade 5000 UWA 18mm
Maxvision SWA 24mm
Celestron Plossl 25mm
Skywatcher 2" LER 28mm
GSO 2" Super Plossl 30mm

Seben Zoom 8-24mm

0.965 team

Swift 0.965" Kellner 12mm
Celestron 0.965" Kellner 18mm
Swift 0.965" Kellner 20mm
CZJ 0.965" Huygens 25mm
Swift 0.965" Kellner 26mm
Charles Frank UW

So, that's 27 not counting 2 Powermates, 2 GSO barlows, a 0.965 Barlow and a load of random other cheapo stuff that came with scopes. 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 3

In my previous post I should have added that those eyepieces are used with 5 telescopes as their focal ratios are not too different.

To be explicit..

In Italy I have a SW 8" f6 dob which is used with 25mm, 10mm plossls and 5mm ortho.

In the UK:

- TV60: 24 Pan, N9T6, Nikon mc1 zoom and baader q-barlow (1.25" set)

- tak100 f7.4: 1) 24 Pan, N13T6, N9T6, N7T6, VIP Barlow (1.25" set); 2) 30mm APM UFF, Zeiss zoom, VIP Barlow (2" set)

- 12" f6 dob: 24 Pan, N13T6, N9T6, N7T6 (1.25" parfocal set)

- 16" f4 dob + pc2: N22T4, 12.5mm Docter, 9 7 and 4.8mm APM XWA (2" set)

These are the eyepieces I use. Then I have 3 TV Delos (which have been dethroned by the APM XWA) and a broken TV 20mm Plossl which likely has the lenses reverted (I need to contact televue as I cannot take it apart due to cemented barrel).

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

Hey, this is great. It’s like going to confession with everyone “fessing up” to what the’ve really got.😳

Especially when everyone tells you that you only need 3 eyepieces, Low, Medium & High power! 😂

My meagre 7 are detailed below. I’m actually lying  about the ES 28mm though, as still waiting for it after placing an order 18 month ago.

Enjoy your collections.

• Like 2

I know this thread is not a competition but FYI I must have at least 100 eyepieces, mostly 2nd hand or donated.  Mostly low to mid range, notables are a 16mm Clave Plossl, TV 3-6mm zoom, Leica zoom and 42mmLV.  Also have some antique brass RAS thread orthos, Tolles and Monocentric versions.     🙂

• Like 4

Glad you posted this as I didn't actually know just how much glass I have. But I cannot be bothered moving any on at this moment in time as they all fulfil a need. (In my mind at least)

TS Optics 28mm UWA

ES 26mm 62 degree

APM 24mm UFF x 3 (two are for the bins)

Nikon Nav HW 17/14mm   (counting this and the one below as two ep’s as they come with a EIS to alter it's focal length)

Nikon Nav HW 12.5/10mm

TV Delos 8mm

Pentax XW 7mm

TV Nagler 3-6mm zoom

OVL 9-27mm zoom

OVL 7.2-21.5mm zoom

Baader 8-24 zoom mk III

Celestron 8-24mm zoom

SW 25mm plossl

Svbony 15mm 66 degree

WO SWAN 9mm

Vixen 25mm plossl x 2

Svbony 6mm 68 degree UW

BST 5mm

APM illuminated reticle 20mm 70 degree FOV

Astro Essentials 32mm Plossl x 2

APM 18mm UFF x2

APM 10mm UFF x2

BST 8mm x2

Also a BST 2x barlow, Meade  2x short barlow, ES 2x tele extender and a generic 1.6 barlow nosepiece.

I make that 36 individual pieces of glass and I still keep looking, really must stop. 😁

The top part of the list down to the Pentax XW 7 are primarily used with the DOB, the rest below are used with the fracs except for the pairs which are for the giant bins.

Although not asked my most used eyepiece is currently probably the Nikon Nav 17 in 17mm mode.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Andy ES said:

Hey, this is great. It’s like going to confession with everyone “fessing up” to what the’ve really got.😳

Especially when everyone tells you that you only need 3 eyepieces, Low, Medium & High power! 😂

My meagre 7 are detailed below. I’m actually lying  about the ES 28mm though, as still waiting for it after placing an order 18 month ago.

Enjoy your collections.

I do maintain that, for one or two scopes of similar F ratios, you probably only need maybe four main use EPs, with perhaps a couple of special case EPs (e.g. orthos), but clearly I have not followed my own advice 😂

That said, this collection has come about over at least ten years, and many of the A-team are better replacements for existing EPs, so it still kind of holds true. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Glad you posted this as I didn't actually know just how much glass I have. But I cannot be bothered moving any on at this moment in time as they all fulfil a need. (In my mind at least)

TS Optics 28mm UWA

ES 26mm 62 degree

APM 24mm UFF x 3 (two are for the bins)

Nikon Nav HW 17/14mm   (counting this and the one below as two ep’s as they come with a EIS to alter it's focal length)

Nikon Nav HW 12.5/10mm

TV Delos 8mm

Pentax XW 7mm

TV Nagler 3-6mm zoom

OVL 9-27mm zoom

OVL 7.2-21.5mm zoom

Baader 8-24 zoom mk III

Celestron 8-24mm zoom

SW 25mm plossl

Svbony 15mm 66 degree

WO SWAN 9mm

Vixen 25mm plossl x 2

Svbony 6mm 68 degree UW

BST 5mm

APM illuminated reticle 20mm 70 degree FOV

Astro Essentials 32mm Plossl x 2

APM 18mm UFF x2

APM 10mm UFF x2

BST 8mm x2

Also a BST 2x barlow, Meade  2x short barlow, ES 2x tele extender and a generic 1.6 barlow nosepiece.

I make that 36 individual pieces of glass and I still keep looking, really must stop. 😁

The top part of the list down to the Pentax XW 7 are primarily used with the DOB, the rest below are used with the fracs except for the pairs which are for the giant bins.

Although not asked my most used eyepiece is currently probably the Nikon Nav 17 in 17mm mode.

Just looked at @Andy ES signature ref EP's and he reminded me I have the celestron 40mm plossl and a 26mm plossl design with in built barlow/66 degree ep. 

That's me up to 38 but if I look around long enough I should manage to hit 40 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy ES said:

Enjoy your collections.

3 eyepieces or 1 low power + zoom + barlow are the very minimum.

However, when you have multiple scopes or the focal length is long enough, more eyepieces are needed to cover a wider range of targets.

For instance, my 16" + pc2 has a focal length of 1868mm. I want something around 400x for PNs but also a low power for about 1 deg FOV (80-100x). Between these magnifications, I want 2-3 eyepieces to cover galaxies, globular clusters, small open clusters and planets (although the latter ones not my main targets).

Another reason for having different types of eyepieces is the size / type. 100 deg eps are very handy for long focal lengths scopes, but these can be heavy and cause balancing issues with refractors (although the views can be breathtaking!). Naglers T6 are powerful but compact - an excellent compromise I'd say if eye relief is not an issue. I store mine in a pouch so that it is attached to my waist: no eyepiece case, pure grab and go. They are also parfocal, which is a great feature for my 12" f6 which now fits an helical focuser to slim down the UTA as much as I want to without affecting sturdiness. This eyepiece choice allowed me to reduce the size of telescope components, making it more manageable.

In conclusion, there are many aspects to consider. That's why choosing eyepieces can be hard and a long going process - which inevitably affect the wallet!

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2