Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How many EP's do you currently have ??

Telescope40

Hello. Unsure if this question has been posed on here before.  Just wondering how many bits of glass you may have currently.   I'll start. 

13.  Thought I had more to be honest.  Range from a 2nd hand 27mm Panoptic down to a 25mm standard SW plossl ( a pair actually that I use in my BV's ) 

Are you looking at getting more or is a "cull" in the offing. 

John

• Like 1

I have 11 eyepieces currently in my eyepiece case, plus a 28mm 2" that came with the Explorer 150PDS that I rarely use, and the two 20mm's that are permanently fitted to the binoviewer. Of the 11, six are ES eyepieces which are all keepers (apart from maybe the 3mm), as is the Baader Zoom. The others are Baader BCOs / BCP and a Celestron Omni, and of these only the Baader 32mm Plossl is a keeper I think. This is more than I need so I will probably sell some of them at some point.

Last count I have;

2 x TOEs

4 x XWs

7 x BSTs

1 x Morpheus

2 x Ultimas/Orion Ultrascopics

2 x BCOs

1 x BGO

4 x orthos

2 x plossls

5 x freebie junk EPs 

So 30 but 25 really as the freebie EPs are never used. Room for more I’d say 🤣

Trimmed down here too.

Was 24, now 14.

One will become unusable with a new scope (on order), so then 13.

I have 9mm, 8mm, 7mm, 6mm in that range and the 8mm never gets used, so I may unload that one.

But how do you choose which child to keep?  Sophie's choice.

• Like 1

That’s a difficult one, it feels like it changes daily 😂

Main use case has 6 at present, but 2 gaps,
Bino case has a fair few,
Other places have more……

Sadly it’s a addiction, but to be honest a lot of the time I use just 1 or 2 in a night.

Crikey people! 😆
I was pondering " how many do I need, what would be the essentials" and found this recent topic.

Will I really need to get into double figures, wonder if that's where I'm heading!?😅

Thought I saw a topic on the essential or basic EP's somewhere but can't find it now?

I've just bought my fourth one (including a Barlow if that counts). So, with the two stock EP's that came with my only scope that's 6 in total.
I'd love to try something like the Televue brand just to see where that extra money goes, but can't afford one at the moment!

Best,
T

Edited by Xgaze

I've got two sets, one for cyclops viewing, one for binoviewing..

Cyclops set is 1 TMB/Burgess 5mm, Morpheus 9 & 17.5mm, Pentax XL 10.5mm, Axiom LX 23 & 31mm - 6 in all plus 2 Barlows.

Binoviewing set is 4 pairs:

Meade Japan 3000 series 25mm, WO clones 20mm 65deg, Kson 16.8mm orthos, and WO clones 12mm 60 deg.

I'll probably reduce this to 3 pairs and likely let the 25mm or 20mm pair go, as I use binoviewers more at medium and higher powers.

I am pretty certain that there will be changes from here.(sorry, Steve @Saganite)😋😂

Dave

• Haha 1

16 at the moment - four of the 77/82° AFoV range, three UWA 66°, one 62°; six Orthos. Two 8-24 zooms, two barlows. All collected during the last 25 years. An older set of five  31 mm barrel Lichtenknecker eyepieces is out of use now.

Last buy was the 12.5 mmf/82° Docter, two years ago. No green/black ones; never was plagued with Eyepiece Acquisition Syndrome.

Stephan

11 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Unsure if this question has been posed on here before.  Just wondering how many bits of glass you may have currently.   I'll start. 

13.  Thought I had more to be honest.  Range from a 2nd hand 27mm Panoptic down to a 25mm standard SW plossl ( a pair actually that I use in my BV's ) 

Are you looking at getting more or is a "cull" in the offing. 

John

13 for me a well if you count my 2 Powermates.

4 x 2 binoviewing pairs 24, 19 , 15 & 12mm

For mono i have 35mm, 12.5mm and a 7-15mm zoom.

I have no plans for anything else, but sometimes i'm tempted to see if i can get a used pair of Nagler 11mm (now discontinued) and trade / sell  in my 12mm pair which are only 60º fov and the Naglers 82º would be nice at high power.

But i'm pretty happy with my current glass. Favourites are the 24 and 19 Panoptics and the 12.5mm Docter UWA

72 unique eyepieces.  Several are duplicated for binoviewing.  I also have dedicated microscope eyepieces for my microscopes, but I only use one pair of them for astronomy, so not counting the rest.  I have a TMB Planetary II 2.5mm incoming, so 73 then.

248802217_EyepieceCollectionGroupShot1.thumb.JPG.dc1a98b3b03e2db6212852a4dfeccf63.JPG

A couple of newer ones didn't make it into that the group photo like the 20mm Meade 5000 UWA and 40mm Lacerta ED.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Louis D said:

72 unique eyepieces.  Several are duplicated for binoviewing.  I also have dedicated microscope eyepieces for my microscopes, but I only use one pair of them for astronomy, so not counting the rest.  I have a TMB Planetary II 2.5mm incoming, so 73 then.

248802217_EyepieceCollectionGroupShot1.thumb.JPG.dc1a98b3b03e2db6212852a4dfeccf63.JPG

A couple of newer ones didn't make it into that the group photo like the 20mm Meade 5000 UWA and 40mm Lacerta ED.

😱😱😱😱😱🤦🤦🤦🤦😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Louis D said:

As I started this I’m really happy my EP collection is somewhat on the low side ?! 

Louis.  I think your collection is rather epic. 👍😎

John 

• Haha 2