SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommendations requested for (laser) collimators

26 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

Mr @wookie1965 make that virtually ALL of them need collimating which is no great trouble, just dig out the silicon rubber guarding the collimation screws and re collimate. Says a lot for quality control.....

I have had two the first went in the bin as it was un-collimatable the second is not as bad but not spot on when I took the screws out one screw is shorter than the other two I have got tracing a circle about the size of a 2p and cannot get it any better.

Best wishes

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I have had two the first went in the bin as it was un-collimatable the second is not as bad but not spot on when I took the screws out one screw is shorter than the other two I have got tracing a circle about the size of a 2p and cannot get it any better.

That's BAD when retailers have the hide to charge somewhere in the order of 38 UK quid for faulty gear. Prices have skyrocketed over the last 10-15 years, as I recall the collimators were around 5-8$ AUS (2+ quid) not so long ago. PM me if you want a design of a DIY collimator oh hairy Mr @wookie1965 using  a cheap 12g shotgun laser, a tube, the guts of a cheshire and a few screws 🙂 

Cheers mate Rob...

16 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I have had two the first went in the bin

Sent a PM Paul but forgot to mention... I could collimate it but it would take time with postage, not to mention both our govts wanting VAT 😞 . I would replace the screws with 4BA's and true it held by a 3 jaw lathe chuck (held obviously by a lathe)!  A much simpler suggestion- Remove the 3 original screws and do as I have done in the past, by replacing with 4BA screws about 25mm long. For some odd reason the BA screws fit snugly into the existing holes AND they seem to give a very fine degree of adjustment!

• 1 month later...