SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter revisited 10th Aug 2022

neil phillips

Following on from my no imaging because of bad weather archive processing

245MM Orion Newtonian SW EQ5 PRO ZWO ADC Baader Q Barlow directly attached to the ADC  Baader IR UV Cut. 

5 min ser capture. winjupos video de rotation. PIPP quality sort down to 40000 frames from 62000 de rotated. AS/3 Processed and stacked 14000 frames 1.5x drizzle. Registax sharpening 

Image analyzer further sharpening levels and colour adjust 

2022-08-10-0147_6-DeRot_75.no smooth.png

2022-08-10-0147_6-DeRot_75.tif full.png R.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

Great images especially the details around the GRS.

Do you derotate the PIPP movie and then stack?

What I do is stabilize the ser file on pipp first. Then i de rotate it on winjupos. I then put it back on pipp. And do a quality sort. removing a third of the bad frames 62000 down to 40000. Then quality sort again on AS/3 40000 Down to 14000 stack.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Good looking end result Neil, when you de-rotate does WinJupos decide how many frames are used?

Hi Pete, No winjupos does not do that. All winjupos will do is de rotate the full capture. Once done it's up to you to then put it on a stack program like AS/3 and process as a normal capture like a 2 min capture. The only difference is it will have a similar rotation as a 1 min capture. But in fact will be 5 mins long. Big advantage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Pete, No winjupos does not do that. All winjupos will do is de rotate the full capture. Once done it's up to you to then put it on a stack program like AS/3 and process as a normal capture like a 2 min capture. The only difference is it will have a similar rotation as a 1 min capture. But in fact will be 5 mins long. Big advantage. 

Thanks Neil, have you done a side by side comparison

3 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Thanks Neil, have you done a side by side comparison

Ive looked at the de rotated image against the non de rotated image. And there is a noticeable de smearing effect. Although AS/3 does remarkably well even at 5 mins. But video de rotation does do better. It's worth the bother Pete

• Like 1

On 24/09/2022 at 07:58, neil phillips said:

And do a quality sort. removing a third of the bad frames 62000 down to 40000. Then quality sort again on AS/3 40000 Down to 14000 stack.

Dear Neil, thanks for the detailed descriptions of your elaboration process, they are very interesting. One question, why are you filtering the frames in two stages? And not directly  from 62k to 14k with AS/3?

2 hours ago, Maurizio83 said:

Dear Neil, thanks for the detailed descriptions of your elaboration process, they are very interesting. One question, why are you filtering the frames in two stages? And not directly  from 62k to 14k with AS/3?

Hi  I dont always do this. But if i want to try and get rid of more bad frames before AS/3 does a quality sort. Then this seems like a good way to make it easier for AS/3 to stack more good quality frames. and not let so many bad frames into the mix. I have no proof it works. But logic suggests it should help.