Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dealing with dew

Hi guys, want sure where to put this so mods please move as appropriate 👍

I'm all geared up with 12v dew straps and a controller with a good power supply so dew during an imaging session isn't an issue in itself. My question is more along the lines of packing everything away. 

I go to a dark site (DS) which obviously means transporting my equipment in purpose made bags and cases. When I'm done I pack everything up and go home. I'm not sure how I feel about packing up cold and dewy kit into cases, which then get warmed up as I warm myself up in the van, spend half an hour driving, before unpacking everything when I'm home. Last time at the DS was probably as bad as it could get dew-wise - temps dropped to the dew point and everything was soaked. I toweled everything down as best I could but I feel like I'm not doing things in the best interest of my kit. 

Should I throw a load of Silica packets in my cases? Lens caps on or off (in the case)? Focuser tube cap off? What do my fellow travelling imagers do? 

It sounds as if you are doing everything that can be reasonably done. If equipment is that soaked, then a few dessicant sachets won't do much. I suppose you could get a 12v heater to dry things off in the van.

I don't image, but after a dewey visual session, I leave my scope in such a way that dew drips away from the lens. My main concern would be preventing water getting inside the tube where it would be much harder to remove, and could possibly cause fungus growth later down the line.

You are doing everything right.  Dry it off the best you can.  You only have a half hour home so when you get there get the stuff  in some moving air and that will help take care of the problem.  I deal with dew almost every session and i open up the eyepiece cases, removed the covers and let a fan blow on them all night.  That seems to handle the problem and far as my 10 inch OTA, it lives in my unheat2d garage and I just aim it down to get any moisture out.  It seems to work. 

You could consider something like this in the bags:

Fifth Gear 2 x 1kg Silica Gel Car Dehumidifier, Dry Air, Reusable Moisture Absorber Bag, Automotive Dehumidifier, Keep Windows Fog-Free. Prevents Condensation and Mold, Includes 2 x Anti Slip Mat : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

I used to use something similar for putting a tent away if it was damp. You can just chuck them in the microwave for a few minutes to re-charge them. I have not used them for astro gear as mine just comes in the back door, but I am sure they would help.

• Like 1