2022-09-22 - Jupiter & Callisto Animation - C6 - ASI485MC

Ags

I finally had a go at shooting a Jupiter animation, and I am pretty pleased with the result. I think the animation helps bring out the detail despite the limited aperture. I am particularly pleased I picked up some clear white ovals in the south. By pure luck, I also picked up Callisto making its escape off to the bottom right.

8 ms subs, ROI 640x480, 10 two-minute sequences at 120fps with 30-second gaps.

I shot without a barlow last night, not entirely sure that is an improvement... It sure was easier to track the planet though! 🤣

jupiter_2022_09_22_anim.gif.60389b24b4a9aaf1ee5789990f39b03c.gif

Edited by Ags
  • Like 9

• Ags changed the title to 2022-09-22 - Jupiter & Callisto Animation - C6 - ASI485MC

I am hoping it stays clear tonight, so I can try a much longer sequence. I think I will ditch the delay between sequences to get it a bit smoother and go down 5 or 6 millisecond subs. It's hard to give up the 8ms subs, because at 120 fps I'm capturing 960ms of light per second.

It didn't stay very clear, but I had a go though thin cloud. I would estimate the cloud was cutting about a magnitude (at least) of light. But I could see the GRS was on show so I persisted and shot about an hour of 10 ms frames at high gain.

I think shooting without a barlow is not working for me, also I see lots of successful C6 images on CN shot with a color camera + barlow. I will try next time with slight barlowing for approximately f13. I tried 1.5 drizzle but I don't think it helped. I'll post an undrizzled version later.

jupiter_2022_09_22_anim.gif.b0a43032e73dc87605341fffdd6fb8b3.gif

Edited by Ags
  • Like 3