Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

software for meteor detection

meteorjoao

Hi, I'm Joao and I want to develop a project in the field of meteor detection.

I've been researching the subject from scratch a lot lately, but as a non-expert, I have lots and lot’s of doubts and questions.

For this reason I’ve come here to ask for your help, if that is possible- hopefully you will know the answers and are willing to share your knowledge. So thank you all in advance.

1- I’m interested in having a meteor detection system built with a Raspberry Pi4 and several IMX 291 cameras.

Which software should I use, for the calibration and the serialization of positive detections?
Does that software runs alone on the Pi4 or does it need remote processing?

2- Does anyone know a software system, besides the 20 years'old MetRec, that can give a ping or an alert signal when a meteor detection is made in real-time/ Live?

Obrigado!

Take a look at Global Meteor Network.

https://globalmeteornetwork.org/

You will find all you need there. It is free and if you choose, you can contribute your data to the scientific community.

spacer.png

To join the network, you can either buy a ready-to-use meteor camera or build your own from scratch – the parts cost around €200 (£170).

Software-wise, a pre-built OS image is available for Raspberry Pi – a 128GB microSD card is recommended. All instructions are provided.

spacer.png

Description in the video below

spacer.png