Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

H-Alpha Astro Conversion – Best modification services

BenHayes

I am looking to have my Canon 60D modified for astrophotography with the h-alpha conversion sensitivity boost using both lenses and telescopes. 

The most important facts: 

I want my camera to preserve focus to infinity with lenses after the modification for widefield Milky Way astrophotography
A conversion with just h-alpha and sulfur II sensitivity increase but blocking infrared light to avoid out of focus halos around stars 
The Best companies offering this Astro Conversion service for a clean modification with even focus across the image  

I really appreciate your answers regarding this matter. 

Clear Skies

Benjamin

As far as I'm aware, modding a cam does not involve adding in filters allowing sensitivity increase to Ha or Sii in particular, the most basic mod involves removing the IR filter so they're more sensitive in the red spectrum and they use a custom white balance setting so if you try imaging during the day the images have a red tint to them and this can be adjusted by setting a different white balance profile. If you need narrowband sensitivity you need to use external filters for each bandpass, I have done this on the Veil Nebula using an Optolong L-extreme and an IR modded DSLR. A mono camera + filters will inevitably be better still.

Edited by Elp

Thanks for the reply and helpful suggestion; I should have thought about stating my location in my original post so folks like you and others didn't have to look at my profile and do some sleuthing to figure it out.  I'm in central Pennsylvania (USA).   Also, I realize the Canon 60D I am interesting in modifying is an older model DSLR with a limited sensor size and resolution, but the one I have is in mint condition.

• Like 1

I had my Nikon D7500 modified with the Full Spectrum conversion by AstroGear (https://www.astrogear.net/). I've had it a few months and so far I've been really happy with it. Nebula images after the mod show much more H-alpha (red). 

As was mentioned by @Elp, for normal daytime photography you'll have to set a custom white balance (or correct the WB in post processing). I use a Hoya UV-IR cut filter to prevent the IR in daytime photography from causing blurring.

• 2 months later...
On 20/09/2022 at 19:47, BenHayes said:

I am looking to have my Canon 60D modified for astrophotography with the h-alpha conversion sensitivity boost using both lenses and telescopes. 

The most important facts: 

I want my camera to preserve focus to infinity with lenses after the modification for widefield Milky Way astrophotography
A conversion with just h-alpha and sulfur II sensitivity increase but blocking infrared light to avoid out of focus halos around stars 
The Best companies offering this Astro Conversion service for a clean modification with even focus across the image  

I really appreciate your answers regarding this matter. 

Clear Skies

Benjamin

What company did you end up using? 

On 26/09/2022 at 23:28, Pete K said:

I had my Nikon D7500 modified with the Full Spectrum conversion by AstroGear (https://www.astrogear.net/). I've had it a few months and so far I've been really happy with it. Nebula images after the mod show much more H-alpha (red). 

As was mentioned by @Elp, for normal daytime photography you'll have to set a custom white balance (or correct the WB in post processing). I use a Hoya UV-IR cut filter to prevent the IR in daytime photography from causing blurring.

You are the first person I have come across that mentioned Astrogear. I have spend an hour searching for reviews and have come up empty handed. They seem to have the best prices of the few places that offer services so I have been considering them. Did you just go for it, or did other people suggest the company?