Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Temporary dew solution: heat gun or hair dryer?

3 minutes ago, Westmoorland said:

I'm leaning toward a cordless heat gun but have a feeling it might interfere with the optics if it gets too hot.  Will either remove dew without affecting the scopes equilibrium?

Preferable to get a 12V hairdryer I would say, and use the lowest heat setting. Best to use it regularly and prevent dew formation rather than wait for it to get totally dewed up.

Yes, the heat guns I have experience of using were very powerful, I wouldn’t direct that onto cold optics.

A hair dryer on the lowest (cool) setting is sufficient to remove the condensation especially if, as Stu recommends, you don’t wait for it to get too excessive.

11 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

USB- powered dew strips and any powerbank to power them are also quite low effort and easy ways to keep dew off optics. Not very expensive either, if you already have a powerbank you could use.

My dew bands are usb powered. £20 each from amazon. No controller needed. simple.

10 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

USB- powered dew strips and any powerbank to power them are also quite low effort and easy ways to keep dew off optics. Not very expensive either, if you already have a powerbank you could use.

I have the standard size lithium battery powertank from Celestron. If I can use one of the USB ports simultaneous to powering the scope through regular cable I'll do it.