SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Svbony 8-3 zoom

Ags

It should be available by the end of the year. There are a couple of engineering sample reviews about, relatively positive but some glare issues.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'll probably stick with my Speers-Waler 5-8mm in that range despite it being wildly non-parfocal throughout its range.  That is, unless this zoom is inexpensive.  If it comes it at $200 to $350, I'll have little to no incentive to buy it.

Well, it is a bit wider than the Nagler Zoom, so the Svbony one is surely a step in the right direction?

The zoom range of the Svbony is ideal for me and I really like the compactness. The eyepiece is also visually appealing, which is apparently an important criterion for me 🤣

Regarding settling times, I agree. But I am prepared to give this a go - 60 degrees AFOV could be workable with a 400-600 mm FL scope.

Edited by Ags

• 1 month later...

I guess a lot depends on your view of risk. I've bought several times from Ali and never had a problem, tho cost to return would be a pain I expect. Most times shipping has been pretty quick and their tracking works well enough. Things tend to get slow once they hit customs here tho lol.

I've bought SVbony zoom eyepieces, finder mounts, CCTV cameras (some shipped from germany when we were still EU) and lenses for them and a replacement ultrasonic motor ring for the Tamron 150-600mm zoom lens I got for a bargain price. Not fitted that yet tho as my bodge-it-and-leg-it conductive copper foil tape fix on the original motor ring got it going again pretty nicely.

• Like 1

Interesting eyepiece - just about covers every planetary need you could have. No, I'm not getting one; I have more eyepieces than I need already :biggrin:

Curious to see how it goes though. Svbony seems to range between the good, the bad and the ugly. Hopefully this is a good one.

I am starting to waver about pre-ordering... In my 90mm refractor  this would give 0.9° field at the wide end and 167x at the zoomed end. On a typical night I wouldn't need any other eyepiece. Why wait for the reviews? We know some will say it's great, some will say it's awful, etc etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kasprowy said:

I've ordered through AliExpress many times, never a problem. Just pre-ordered one of these today. They state free return for up to 15 days of receipt.

I too have pre-odered one!

On 20/09/2022 at 13:43, Philip R said:

If it compares well, and SVBONY have the issues sorted and the price is affordable, then the TeleVue Nagler zoom, dad & son have some serious competition.

It's going to be interesting to see how it compares against my TeleVue 3-6mm Nagler zoom. 

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2