Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A brief astro landscape imaging session at Booley

The forecast was very promising for Friday night, but with only 40 minutes between the onset of astro-dark and Moonrise I opted to head to a local coastal spot for a brief session imaging the Milky Way over St Austell Bay.

Though I also took along a star tracker and astro-modified EOS 600D, given the limited time I actually only used an off-the-shelf EOS 5D Mk III on a static tripod. Still, via 4 lenses from 14mm to 50mm, I came away with 17 different compositions.

Here are a few results. The frames were stacked in Sequator and post-processed (for curves, colour balance, vignetting, gradients and noise reduction) in CyberLink PhotoDirector. First up, my least favourite of the 4 to be honest: the Milky Way via 6 x 30 second frames with a Samyang 14mm at F/5.6 and ISO 12800.

Regards, Mike

Booley 14mm 2 a-3-01.jpg

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dark knight said:

I actually really like that first one Mike, so nice to have those rocks in the foreground,  great framing.

Thanks, Carl.

I think I was less happy with the first image because of the extra adjustments and compromises I'd made. It was the first time I'd used the 14mm on the full frame camera. I had to close the aperture down to f/5.6, to reduce vignetting, and to increase the ISO further than I'd like - so that meant extra noise reduction in post processing. Even with the aperture shut down, the distortion was awful and I lost most of the foreground interest while correcting it! 🤣 Still, I suppose it's not tooooooo bad.

Edited by mcrowle